Quick Hits: UConn hires new deputy AD, Baseball wraps up regular season play

Left handed pitcher Anthony Kay delivers a pitch during his start against Houston on Friday April 15, 2016 at J.O. Christian Field. Kay is widely expected to be a first round pick in the MLB Draft. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

With spring sports coming to an end, UConn athletics is wrapping up a successful 2015-16 athletic campaign filled with national championships and all-around accomplishments. With only the baseball team left in action, many UConn teams and the athletic department as a whole are focused on the future and preparing for next season.

UConn hires Vic Cegles as deputy athletic director

UConn added even more experience and leadership to its athletic department Friday, announcing that it hired former Long Beach State Director of Athletics Vic Cegles to serve as Deputy Athletics Director. Cegles has worked with UConn athletic director David Benedict in the past, hiring Benedict for his first job at Arizona State and working again with him at Long Beach State from 2007-10. Cegles, who has experience in fundraising for facilities in his time at Long Beach State, will focus on those external areas as well as serve as an administrator for men’s basketball, baseball and golf.

Baseball wraps up regular season, Kay makes history

The UConn baseball team finished their regular season on a high note, sweeping a three-game series with USF to finish the year 33-22 overall and 14-9 in the American Athletic Conference. The sweep helped the Huskies finish the year on a nine-game win streak, their longest since 2011. UConn ace Anthony Kay made history with his seven inning, seven strikeout performance in the Huskies’ 11-2 win on Friday, passing former Husky and current Red Sox reliever Matt Barnes for first all-time in career strikeouts with 249.

UConn enters the American Athletic Conference Tournament as the No. 3 seed and opens play May 25 at 3 p.m. against No. 6 seed Memphis at Bright House Field in Clearwater, Florida.

Men’s Soccer concludes trip to Italy

Coming off an NCAA tournament appearance with a young and talented core of players, head coach Ray Reid and the UConn men’s soccer team are near the end of an 11-day trip to Italy for offseason training. The team has practiced during and toured the country during their trip, while also playing in three matches. The Huskies tied Ternana Calcio 1-1 on May 16, with Cheikh Stephane Coly finding the back of the net for UConn.

Reid also showcased his dance moves on the trip, joining in on a team dance session to help drum up some chemistry.

Vital signs national letter of intent

Three-star Class of 2016 recruit Christian Vital sent his signed national letter of intent this past Wednesday, officially making him a member of UConn men’s basketball’s 2016 recruiting class. The point guard will join Vance Jackson, Alterique Gilbert, Mamadou Diarra and Juwan Durham on campus this fall.

Pratt named men’s hockey captain for 2016-17 season

Ice bus head coach Mike Cavanaugh announced that junior defenseman Derek Pratt was elected captain by his teammates for the Huskies’ upcoming season. Pratt served as an alternate captain last season for the Huskies, appearing in 34 games and blocking an average of 2.09 shots per game, the 27th best rate in the country.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.