Men's Basketball: Purvis, Brimah to return to UConn for senior seasons

Amida Brimah and Rodney Purvis huddle with their teammates during UConn's 73-61 loss to Kansas in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament on March 19, 2016. Brimah and Purvis announced Tuesday that they were withdrawing their names from consideration in the NBA Draft. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

Amida Brimah and Rodney Purvis have withdrawn their names from the list of underclassmen eligible for the 2016 NBA Draft and will return to UConn for their senior seasons, according to a press release.

Neither player was invited to the NBA Draft Combine. Since neither Brimah or Purvis hired an agent, they retained the ability to return to school prior to the May 25 deadline.

The return of these two key players for their senior years will only benefit the Huskies in the 2016-17 season.

Brimah, the team's starting center, has the leading field goal percentage (.662) and third-most blocked shots (280) in school history.

He missed 11 games last season dealing with a broken finger but captured the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Year award in his sophomore season.

Despite becoming the sixth man midway through the season, Purvis still led UConn in points per game (12.8) last season. He returns to Storrs as the only starter back from the Huskies' postseason lineup. Purvis, who transferred to UConn after playing his freshman season at North Carolina State, has scored 1,137 career points, 845 at UConn.

The decision to return will improve the Huskies on and off the court next season. Brimah is a two-time captain and Purvis has developed into the heart and soul of the program. With head coach bringing in a top-10 ranked recruiting class, having solid veteran leadership in the locker room will prove to be invaluable.

Daniel Hamilton also declared for the NBA Draft following the end of the 2015-16 season. He hired an agent and renounced his eligibility.

Elan-Paolo DeCarlo is the associate digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at elan-paolo.decarlo@uconn.edu. He tweets @ElanDeCarlo.