UConn women land Kentucky transfer Batouly Camara

For the second time in three weeks, the UConn women’s basketball team has landed another high-profile transfer.

The Huskies announced Tuesday that freshman Kentucky transfer Batouly Camara has joined the team, joining Azurá Stevens as the second transfer UConn has recruited in the month of May to join the 11-time national champions. Like Stevens, Camara will have to sit out the 2016-17 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

The six-foot-two-inch Camara will have three years of eligibility remaining, beginning with 2017-18 season.

Batouly Camara, a freshman from the University of Kentucky, will be joining the UConn women's basketball team in the fall. (Courtesy/UK Athletics)

“We developed a great relationship with Batouly during the recruiting process a couple years ago so we already knew what a great kid she is,” UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said in a statement.  She comes from a great family, is an incredibly hard worker and has outstanding ability.  I can’t wait for her get to Storrs.”

Camara averaged 5.1 points and 4.3 rebounds per game on 49.3 percent shooting from the field for the Wildcats. She was ranked 53rd in the Class of 2015 ESPNw HoopGurlz top 100.

The addition of Camara provides much needed long-term frontcourt depth caused by the departure of De’Janae Boykin. Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson are the only forwards returning next season, and will be joined by incoming freshman Kyla Irwin, the lone forward in the Huskies’ 2016 recruiting class.

"I am extremely excited and thankful for the opportunity to join the UConn family, Camara said in a statement.  "This is an incredible opportunity that I do not take lightly.  I can't wait to get to campus this summer to meet my new teammates and create lasting relationships on and off the court."