Although the margarita is not the most American cocktail, it can still be an adequate part of your Memorial Day weekend. Blackberry grapefruit margaritas combine red coloring from freshly squeezed grapefruit juice, white sugar coating the rim of the glass and blue blackberries, which seems patriotic enough to include at any Memorial Day picnic.
• five ounces of silver tequila
• five ounces of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
• three ounces of lime juice
• two teaspoons of agave nectar
• a splash of your choice of berry or citrus seltzer
• 10 muddled blackberries
• sugar to coat the rim of glasses
Run a wedge of lime around the rim of your cocktail glasses and then sprinkle them with sugar. Add the above ingredients, excluding the seltzer, into a cocktail shaker with several ice cubes. Shake for about 30 seconds and strain the beverage into glasses while adding fresh ice. Top with seltzer for a weaker drink and garnish with extra blackberries as you wish.
(inspired by What’s Gabby Cooking)
Megan Krementowski is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at email@example.com.