UConn announces police chief is retiring on June 1

UConn announced today that Police Chief Barbara O'Connor will retire. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut Police Chief Barbara O’Connor is retiring this summer, according to an email from an administration official to university employees Thursday afternoon.

The email, sent by university executive vice president for administration Scott Jordan, said O’Connor is expected to step down on June 1. She has served as the university’s police chief and director of public safety since 2012.

Deputy Police Chief Hans Rhynhart has agreed to serve as interim police chief and director of public safety during the search for a replacement, Jordan said in the email.

“Chief O’Connor has been a pleasure to work with and has impressed all of us with her deep commitment to our university and to the safety, security and well-being of our entire community,” Jordan wrote in the email. “Though we understand her desire to step down after a career that has spanned more than three decades and three states, we are still sorry to lose a colleague of her great talent and experience.”

O’Connor has worked in law enforcement for 33 years, including 15 years at university campuses. Before coming to UConn, she served as the police chief at UMass-Amherst from 2001 to 2009 and the University of Illinois from 2009 to 2012.

Rhynhart has worked for the UConn police department for the last 15 years and graduated from the university in 1993.

Kyle Constable is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kyle.constable@uconn.edu. He tweets @KyleConstable.