From Fetty Wap to HuskyTHON, events on campus were nothing less than 'lit'

Fetty Wap performed at Gampel Pavilion for the SUBOG Summer Concert at Gampel Pavilion on April 15, 2016. (Bailey Wright/The Daily Campus)

The Daily Campus’ Life Section covered a wide array of on-campus events this past academic year, including performances from national stars and students gathering to support important causes. Here is a recap of some of the year’s most important events, documented through the Life staff’s coverage.

Nate Ruess headlines SUBOG fall concert

Nate Ruess, the lead vocalist of indie pop band Fun and former member of The Format, performed songs from his solo album “Grand Romantic” at SUBOG’s annual fall concert last September. The show was part of the 2015 Campus Consciousness tour, which was created to garner youth support for clean energy.

“While Ruess started out the night with old favorites like “She Doesn’t Get It” by The Format and fun’s “We Are Young,” by the end of the evening he was stumbling through an unrehearsed play through of “The Gambler” on piano and learning the UConn Huskies chant from enthused students,” wrote Kimberly Armstrong on Sep. 21 in a review of the concert.

Comedian Kathy Griffin delivers raunchy show at Jorgensen

Renowned comedian Kathy Griffin brought her profane, impromptu act to Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts the week of Halloween. A running commentary of the Luke Gatti mac-and-cheese incident was one of the show’s highlights.

“Griffin, whose 2014 stand-up special “Calm Down Gurrl” won a Grammy for Best Comedy Album, gave a performance that aptly showcased her trademark blend of profanity, popular culture and celebrity anecdotes,” wrote Tyler Keating on Oct. 30.

HuskyTHON raises over $700,000 in record setting year

The 2016 iteration of UConn’s famous HuskyTHON charity dance marathon raised $716,394.58 for the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. International pop star Taylor Swift made headlines for contributing $1,989 to the cause through fourth-semester accounting major Igor Lekontsev.

“The night served as the apex for a year’s worth of student-run fundraisers by HuskyTHON, a student philanthropic group that also organized events Miracle Walk and ZombieTHON earlier in the school year. This year’s HuskyTHON raised over 25 percent more than last year’s, which totaled over $560,000,” wrote Anokh Palakurthi on Feb. 22.

Page to Stage performance of ‘The Vagina Monologues’ hits campus

Page to Stage Productions brought playwright Eve Ensler’s “The Vagina Monologues” to campus in February for a weekend of captivating performances. UConn students performed the series of monologues, which range from comedy to tragedy, in the Student Union.

“Through “The Vagina Monologues,” Page to Stage brought our not so dirty secret into the limelight, exposing vaginas for what they really are: a source of pleasure, pain and truly bizarre nicknames,” wrote Kimberly Armstrong on Feb. 29.

Trap King: Fetty Wap lights up crowd at SUBOG Spring Concert

Hip-hop artist Fetty Wap performed an energetic set as the lead act of the 2016 SUBOG Spring Concert. Wap played massive hits like “Trap Queen,” “My Way” and “679” alongside his large Remy Boyz crew on the Gampel Pavilion stage.

“It’s unclear where Fetty Wap’s career will take him next, but he clearly has the talent and performing chops to accomplish greater things. For now, he’s enjoying life in the limelight, soaking up love on the Gampel Pavilion stage alongside the crew who stuck by his side all along,” wrote Tyler Keating on Apr. 15.

‘Saturday Night Live’ comedians deliver irreverent Spring Weekend show

“SNL” performers Streeter Seidell, Vanessa Bayer and Pete Davidson combined to deliver a joint standup comedy performance at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts over Spring Weekend. The three comedians brought different strengths and attributes to the table, creating an overall raunchy show for UConn students in attendance

“In a night of comedians willing to push the boundaries of what was okay to joke about, Davidson was unapologetically controversial, including jokes about mentally challenged college students, AIDS and child molestation, along with bringing in an element of the absurd,” wrote Anokh Palakurthi on Apr. 27.

Humans of New York founder Brandon Stanton delivers Spring Weekend lecture

Humans of New York founder Brandon Stanton spoke to a sold-out audience at the Jorgensen Center of the Performing Arts over Spring Weekend. Stanton talked about his unusual career path, and gave out plenty of advice.

“Stanton’s speech was critical for college students who are deciding what kind of career path they want to go down. To Stanton, happiness is much greater than the amount of success and money,” wrote Angie DeRosa on Apr. 25.