Remembering those UConn has lost

(Left) Ryan Meegan, 19, of Ridgefield and Alana Ferrante, 19, (right) of South Windsor. (Photo courtesy of NBC Connecticut)

Eight months later, the University of Connecticut community continues to mourn the death of two students, Ryan Meegan and Alana Ferrante, who died on Sept. 18 in a car accident.

The two 19-year-old sophomores were passengers in a car that collided with a tractor-trailer after running a stop sign in Colombia, Connecticut.

Meegan was a pre-teaching major. Ferrante was a pre-kinesiology major. 

In a Daily Campus story from Sept. 22 by staff writer Maggie McEvilly, third-semester business major William Blatter said he and Meegan played rugby together and were best friends. 

“Ryan had the most unique sense of humor I’ve ever seen, he could make anyone laugh with the simplest of jokes,” Blatter said. “He was the wittiest person I’ve ever met.”

UConn Rugby Team expressed a similar sentiment in an April 18 story written by Daily Campus senior staff writer Sten Spinella.

“Our rugby team didn’t just lose a player but a brother… He was a hardworking, eager and committed player and a great friend,” a statement from the team said. “He was coaches’ and players’ ideal teammate, qualities not found too often nowadays.”

Cody Zitkus, a third-semester allied health major, went to high school with Ferrante and transferred from CCSU to UConn with her.

“She was just one of those people that everyone loved,” Zitkus said. “I loved being around her because I could always be myself. Even if we had nothing to do we’d be laughing and having a great time.”

On April 16, the driver of the car that ran the stop sign, Hannah Marguerite Schmidt, was charged with negligent homicide. Schmidt is also a UConn student. University authorities did not reveal Schmidt as the driver in the original September report.

Claire Galvin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.