'Should I Stay or Should I Go': Grads contemplate next state of residency

In this undated file photo, students toss their hats into the air for graduation on the Great Lawn in front of Wilbur Cross Building. (Amar Batra/Daily Campus)

Graduation is upon us, and with it University of Connecticut graduates will have to decide whether or not to leave Connecticut.

Within the past few years, there have been several surveys showing the increasing number of not only graduates leaving the state, but everyday people.

“In 2014, more than 39,000 young adults in the 20-to-34 age group moved out of Connecticut, and increase of more than 20 percent from 2007,” the Hartford Courant reported.

A Gallup poll conducted in 2013 had also shown that nearly half of Connecticut residents who were polled said that they want to move out of the state, according to a WNPR report.

The reason why so many residents would leave if given the chance, is for work opportunities, family and for a better “quality of life”, according to the WNPR report.

UConn seniors, however, have other motivations. 

Gabriel Bachinelo, is a senior who will be graduating with a degree in accounting and would like to leave Connecticut not for economic reasons, but out of wanderlust.

“I just want to explore more and to have new experiences in different parts of the country,” Bachinelo said.

Bachinelo is from Connecticut and as of now will not be leaving the state in the short term, but he is “open to the option” of moving out of it in the long term. 

Megha Patel, a senior who will be graduating with a degree in molecular and cell biology, expressed similar thoughts.

“I just want to head to a different environment,” she said. “I want to branch out and see what else is out there.”

Patel is from a suburb in Massachusetts and would like to work in Boston for a change in scenery. 

“I would like to branch out,” she said. “It’s important to branch out.” 

Benjamin Plant, is a senior from Connecticut who will be graduating with a double major in political science and Spanish. 

“I am interested in moving to a city so that I can have an easily set up social network,” he said. 

People across the state of every age group are considering leaving Connecticut. For UConn grads it’s not just economics and job prospects, but a taste for something they see as new and exciting.

Annabelle Orlando is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrland