Drink of the Week: Cool off with a Cilantro Jalapeño Limeade

Cilantro Jalapeño Limeade, made by Megan Krementowski, is a favorite summer drink recommended by The Daily Campus Life section.

Cilantro Jalapeño Limeade was originally intended to be non-alcoholic, so our underage readers can enjoy, too. The drink already has a kick, but if you want to get a little more out of it, just add an ounce of tequila per glass. The recipe serves eight and has a hands-on time of 12 minutes and total time of three hours and 42 minutes, according to Cooking Light.  

Ingredients include:

• 4.5 cups of water
  • three-fourths cup of sugar
  • one-half cup of agave nectar
  • One cup of cut cilantro
  • two large jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
  • two tablespoons of sugar
  • one-fourth teaspoon of salt
  • nine lime wedges
  • 1.5 cups of fresh lime juice
  • four cups of ice

To make the limeade, combine the 4.5 cups of water, three-fourths cup of sugar and one-half cup of agave nectar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Let it stand for 30 minutes, then pour jalapeño mixture into a large bowl and cover and chill the bowl for at least three hours.

Combine two tablespoons of sugar and salt into a dish and then rub the rims of glasses with a lime wedge. Dip the rims of the glasses into the sugar mix. After, strain the cilantro mixture through a sieve over a bowl and discard solid pieces. Stir in the lime juice, and then fill each glass with a half cup of ice. Add three-fourths cup of limeade to each glass, and garnish with the remaining lime wedges. For an “adult” drink, add about an ounce of tequila to your glass.

(selected from Cooking Light)

Megan Krementowski is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.