Women's Basketball: Ekmark leaving UConn, headed to Arizona State

Junior guard Courtney Ekmark makes a play against ECU at Gampel Pavilion on Feb. 6, 2016. On Wednesday, UConn announced that Ekmark will be leaving the program. (Bailey Wright/The Daily Campus)

Rising junior guard Courtney Ekmark will transfer from the University of Connecticut, the program announced Wednesday.

“Courtney is a great kid and I am thankful to have had the opportunity to get to know her and her family,” UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said.  “Everyone at UConn misses her already and we wish her nothing but the best in the future.” 

Ekmark appeared in 61 games during her two-year stint in Storrs. She averaged 2.0 points per game in just over 9.3 minutes of action.  Ekmark is a two-time national champion.

Ekmark, a Phoenix native, will enroll at Arizona State University. She will not be eligible to play in the 2016-17 season. Ekmark does have two years of eligibility left.

“I feel incredibly blessed to have been a UConn Husky for the past two years but I am really looking forward to starting a new chapter of my life at Arizona State,” Ekmark said.  “I want to thank the coaching staff and my UConn teammates for everything over the last two years and I can’t wait to start playing for Coach Charli here in Tempe.”

The Huskies have two incoming transfers that will have to sit this season: forward Batouly Camara and guard Azura Stevens.

Elan-Paolo DeCarlo is the associate digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at elan-paolo.decarlo@uconn.edu. He tweets @ElanDeCarlo.