Trustees approve housing for Stamford campus

A design of what the future of UConn Stamford housing will look like. (Photo courtesy UConn Today)

The University of Connecticut’s Board of Trustees approved on Wednesday morning an agreement that will allow the Stamford Campus to provide 116 apartment units for its students starting in September 2017.

“This is a great day for UConn, a great day for Stamford and most importantly a great day for our students,” Board Chair Lawrence McHugh said at the meeting.

The deal made between UConn and RMS Companies, a real estate development firm based in Stamford, will allow the university to utilize the housing units already being developed at 900 Washington Boulevard, which is within walking distance of UConn’s Stamford Campus.

“What was great about this is that the project was already in development, which will save us time and money,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. “[RMS Companies] was willing to pivot to better accommodate the needs of our students.”

According to a memo from UConn CFO Scott Jordan, the university expects to charge $995 per month for a shared bedroom and $1,248 for a non-shared bedroom, both of which would be based on a 12-month lease.

The maximum occupancy of the building would be 350 students, but the target occupancy (accounting for single-occupancy rooms) would be closer to 290.

The same memo states that university-sponsored housing will provide a cheaper housing option for students, increase their independence, eliminate commuting time and expense, and give students more time to spend on internships in Stamford and their academic work.

“This is great news for students, our campus, the town of Stamford, and the state of CT,” UConn President Susan Herbst said at the meeting. “It will allow students to not just learn alongside their fellow students but also to live with them. It’ll add new vibrancy to a campus that was already vibrant.”

This is the first time that a regional campus is offering housing. Jordan’s memo notes that Stamford is the only regional campus that currently has increasing enrollment, and it also states that no other campuses should expect similar housing accommodations in the foreseeable future.

Michael Pollard, chief of staff to Stamford’s mayor, said this is promising for future collaboration between the university, the state and Stamford.

“It’s not just a dormitory, it’s an expression of a tangible commitment by the state to the city of Stamford,” Pollard said. “The commitment that has been made adds to it the opportunity for future growth, and this really is for students of future generations.”

Chris McDermott is the news editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mcdermott@uconn.edu.