Five easy meals to make in your dorm microwave

Part of the essentials of shopping for college includes a mini fridge and microwave. Instead of stock piling that fridge with cheap beer and only using that microwave to enforce your strict diet of sodium-ridden foods, I’m here to save you. As a senior I can tell you there are going to be times when you don’t feel like leaving your room to go to the dining hall, especially during those winter months. Your body is going to hate you for your excessive intake of ramen noodles, easy mac and whatever other processed foods you chose to bring with you. And I can almost guarantee that at one point or another you’re going to be hungry or broke and no dining hall will be open.

Believe it or not you can cook up a delicious meal with just a couple of ingredients and a microwave, no cooking skills necessary. I’ve rounded up a few of my favorite meals that will surely satisfy your stomach and impress your friends. You might want to save these recipes.

1. Mug Brownie

There is something about a brownie being mashed up in a mug that is more delicious than the perfect square you get from grab-and-go. All you need is a mug, brownie mix (you can also swipe out the brownies for cookie mix) and some water. Mix everything and keep it in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes. Top with your favorite candy, ice cream or chocolate syrup.

2. Breakfast Burrito

If there are two types of foods that go together it’s eggs and burritos. In a small bowl or cup scramble an egg and cook for 1-2 minutes. Place on a tortilla, sprinkle on some cheese and viola. You can find recipes online that include veggies or meats in them as well.

3. Parmesan Buttered Ramen Noodles

Ramen noodles are a staple item, but instead of eating them in the broth it comes with there are dozens of different ways you can be chowing down on those noodles that are much more tasty. One of my favorite ways to eat it and is super simple is with parmesan cheese and butter.  Just cook the noodles in water for a couple of minutes, drain and add the ingredients.

4. Quesadilla

Sprinkle cheese over two quesadillas. Microwave for a minute. Serve with those leftover packets of taco bell sauce you’ve been hoarding. On the topic of taco bell, you can also make a simple cheese roll up but sprinkling cheese and then rolling up the tortilla like a delectable baby burrito.

5. Nachos

The next best thing to nachos from Willimantic Brewery is homemade nachos made by you in the microwave (thanks Ryan Lochte). Fill a bowl with nachos top with cheese and any other things you might enjoy (pico de gallo, refried beans, etc.).  Microwave for about a minute or two and serve with sour cream and or guacamole.

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa.