UConn-struction: What to expect from summer improvements

Finished Product: Next Generation Connecticut Hall, formally called the STEM dorms, is now substantially complete and open for student occupancy. (UConn Planning Architectural Engineering Services/YouTube)

The Monteith Building, Connecticut Commons and Next Generation Connecticut Hall (Next Gen) all have one thing in common: they were at the center of summer construction at the University of Connecticut.

Students during the 2015-2016 academic year would have noticed that the Monteith Building was under construction. Since its completion earlier this summer it will be the home of the Mathematics Department, according to a UConn Today article by Stephanie Reitz.

Along with Montheith, the Schenker Auditorium was also renovated and will be open this fall for classroom space, according to the article.

Next Gen is a new dormitory on campus: a 210,000-square-foot building that cost about $79 million and holds 727 beds, according to a UConn press release.

The Finished Product: Monteith building is now complete. (UConn Planning Architectural and Engineering Services/YouTube)

The dorm is going to be the new home to quite a few learning communities including WiMSE (Women in Math, Science and Engineering), EcoHouse, STEM Honors, Public Health House and EuroTech House, according to the UConn Today article.

“It (Next Gen) also includes comfortable study lounges, an Innovation Zone with a 3D printer for students’ use, and many other features,” according to the release.

During the summer there was also infrastructure work being done near the Student Union and Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts.

There will still be construction at various locations, such as South Campus.

“The (South Campus) buildings were constructed in approximately 1998 -1999 and have experienced water infiltration problems and now exhibit significant exterior envelope and roof deterioration,” according to a UConn Quarterly Construction Status Report.

The project was divided into two “phases:” Phase I was work on Rosebrooks Hall and Wilson Hall, which was finished in December 2015. Phase II, includes the remaining repairs on Rome and Snow Halls, which began in April 2016 and will be completed by November 28, 2016, according to the report.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrland