Huskies in the MLB: Springer, Barnes in midst of playoff race

Houston Astros' Alex Bregman (2) celebrates his two-run home run off Tampa Bay Rays' starting pitcher Blake Snell with George Springer in the third inning of a baseball game, Saturday, Aug. 27, 2016, in Houston. (AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith)

Currently this season, three former Huskies are playing in the “Big Show” while there are two pitching coaches in the MLB and eight players who are working their way up in the minor league. The three players in the Major League right now are Nick Ahmed of the Arizona Diamondbacks, George Springer of the Houston Astros and Matt Barnes of the Boston Red Sox.

After playing for most of the season, Ahmed landed on the 15-day DL in late July due to a nagging hip injury, playing his last game on the 22nd of July. On the 26th of August, Ahmed successfully underwent season ending knee surgery as his status for next season will come out following his rehab process. For the year he had a .218 batting average, .003 below his career average and he hit 4 home runs and drove in 20. Ahmed was drafted in 2011 in the second round by the Atlanta Braves.

Born in New Britain, Connecticut, George Springer was drafted by the Houston Astros in the first round of the 2011 draft. He debuted for the team in 2014 and since has been one of their most consistent players. In the 2016 season, he has appeared in 120 games, 119 as a right fielder and one as center fielder. On the season he is hitting .261 which is .003 better than his career average. He has also hit 25 home runs, driven in 72 runs, stolen 8 bases and has a .827 OPS, which is .006 better than his career average.

Not to be confused with one of the bad boys of the NBA, Matt Barnes is a pitcher for theBoston Red Sox who first debuted on September 9th of 2014. This season he has a 3-3 record with a 3.68 earned run average, which is 71 points better than his career average. So far he has appeared in 49 games and has totaled 62 strikes outs in 58.2 innings. His best pitch is a four-seam fastball as he averages 97.1 miles per hours but hitters perceive it to be 97.32 mph. 

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering UConn volleyball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.