Female artists dominate the 2016 Video Music Awards

Beyonce accepts the award for best female video for “Hold Up” at the MTV Video Music Awards at Madison Square Garden on Sunday, Aug. 28, 2016, in New York. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

All hail Queen B who took home the award for Video of the Year at the 2016 Video Music Awards.

The VMA’s returned to New York City for the event’s first time in Madison Square Garden. This was the 33rd year MTV has presented awards honoring the best music videos of the year.

The ceremony kicked off with a performance by Rhianna singing a medley of her top hits throughout her career, some of those included were “Where Have You Been,” “Only Girl” and “We Found Love.”

Diddy presented the first award for Best Hip Hop Video. Drake, whose song “Hotline Bling” won the award, could not be there to accept the award because, like the rest of us who wait until the last minute to be somewhere important, was stuck in traffic.

Before presenting the award for Best Male Video, Alicia Keys took the stage to perform a powerful poem honoring the anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech. Calvin Harris took home the award for Best Male Video for his song “This Is What You Came For” featuring Rhianna.

Michael Phelps took the stage and introduced Future as someone who he listens to quite often. In fact, he revealed that when he was caught making that face during the Olympics, he was zoned out listening to Future’s track “Stick Talk.”

Kanye West appeared to present his new video, but before doing so, he said he wanted to take the time to talk to the audience.

In normal Kanye fashion, his monologue was all over the place but one thing we can take away from him is his passion for inspiring children who are less fortunate: “(There are) three keys to keeping people impoverished: taking away their esteem, taking away their resources and taking away their role models,” West said.

Finally, the moment we were all waiting for: Beyoncé’s (flawless) performance of her album “Lemonade.” They might as well have ended the award show after her because really, how could anyone compete with Queen B?

Kim Kardashian-West introduced Brittany Spears’ long-awaited VMA performance since 2007. Spears has given the VMA’s some of its most iconic moments, and it was no surprise that her performance with G-Eazy of their song “Make Me” did not disappoint viewers.

Beyoncé took home the award for Best Female Video with her song “Hold Up.” Rhianna received the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, honoring her decade long impact on music, pop culture, fashion, film and philanthropy. Other highlights include DNCE winning Best New Artist and a performance of “Closer” by The Chainsmokers featuring Halsey–the current No.1 song in the country on Billboard Hot 100.

Full list of winners

Evie DeRosa is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at evie.derosa@uconn.edu