New Year, New Huskies: Decades-old campus bar moves locations

The new and improved Huskies Restaurant and Bar has moved to the former location of Thirsty's, more recently named The Final Pour. Their new address is 134 North Eagleville Road. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus) 

After years nestled between Ted’s and Wings Over, Huskies Bar has moved to a new location. Huskies has been under the same ownership since 1993, and doubled in size in the mid-‘80s to its former layout, according to Dan Prokop, one of the owners of the bar. Its new site is where Final Pour, or Thirsty’s (whatever you want to call it) used to be.

Huskies used to be more of a pizza/bar-food and beer place in the mid-60s until it was expanded, Prokop said. Management was looking to expand, general manager, Kevin Lavallee said, and when Final Pour went out of business, they seized the opportunity.

Lavallee said that Final Pour’s space is newer than the old Huskies, and the bar’s team had a vision of making it even better.

“It’s been gutted from top to bottom,” Lavellee said of the new Huskies. The walls are decorated with Husky decorations and memorabilia and adorned with 17 flat screen TVs. The bar also has a brand new sound system and an improved layout, along with 12 beers on tap.

Lavellee has been part of Huskies’ management for 23 years, and said they plan to keep the old traditions of the bar alive. Nickel Night will continue to be held Thursday through Saturday nights during the year. The bar’s last Nickel Night at the old location was Friday, Aug.19.

The Huskies crew is also looking to introduce some new customs to the bar, including a Husky drink. The creation does not yet have a name, but Lavellee said it would be blue and contain a mix including vodka and diet 7-Up.

“We’re shooting for zero calories and gluten free,” he said. 

Prokop said the owners of the bar have to thank Steve Rogers and Randy Bobb for their work during the transition from old Huskies to the new. The new location is 134 North Eagleville Road No. 6. 

Megan Krementowski is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.