Women's soccer: Huskies' struggles against Rutgers continue in 2-0 loss

Lianne Keegans throws the ball in during No. 10 UConn's 2-0 loss to Rutgers at Morrone Stadium on Aug. 28, 2016. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

UConn’s struggles against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights continued this weekend when the Huskies fell 2-0.

UConn has lost their last three meetings with the Scarlet Knights by a combined score of 10-0, despite dominating the all-time series 16-5-4.

“We have a rivalry with Rutgers but we go into every game with the same mentality, we want to win, we want to beat another team, so they're just another team,” senior Maddie Damm said. ”We were well prepared, but it was one of those off days.”

Last season the two teams faced off twice. First, in New Brunswick in a match that Rutgers won 2-0 early in the regular season.

The teams met once again the Sweet 16, where the stakes were much higher. The Scarlet Knights sent home a very strong UConn team with 4-0 victory and advanced to the Elite 8.

This year the Huskies were looking for revenge, but were once again disappointed. The familiarity between the two squads allowed the Rutgers defense to focus in on the Huskies star forward Rachel Hill. Hill was man marked all game and often was forced back into the midfield to receive the ball.

Set pieces continue to be the achilles heel against Rutgers as both goals from this weekends matches came off of corner kicks.

“They scored three or four goals on us last year the same way. They went as far as they went on corner kicks and penalty kicks,” head coach Len Tsantiris said.

One positive from this weekends match was that Kim Urbanek was able to get some vital minutes on the road back from injury.

“Supposedly if we had won the game she wouldn't have played. She is not fit. She cannot play more then 15-20 minutes right now,” Tsantiris said.

The Huskies loss at home this weekend snaps a 15 game home winning streak that stretches back to the end of the 2014-2015 season.