Lazy Boy on Campus: Why not get delivery from across the parking lot?

(Flikr/gagews)

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

This one time, freshman year, I wanted a pizza but was too tired to go anywhere. So I called Husky Pizza and had them deliver to Buckley, after all it takes very little effort to get somewhere in an elevator. That situation basically describes how I’ve managed to survive school all the way up to senior year.

College is a tough time. We spend about a third of our week either in class or rushing to class. The rest of our time is spent attempting to make our lives easier. Most of us never got over “senioritis” after high school. Certain parts of college are expected to be tough, and there is no “lazy” solution to those things. But for the other parts like going to class, going to the gym or getting food, there are much easier methods than the norm.

Don’t worry, this column isn’t going to run (or I’ll try to avoid letting it run) like one of those Buzzfeed listicles like “5 hacks for the lazy college student,” though I will say that some of those articles are fairly useful. I have survived for three years at UConn and have somehow managed to stay sane doing it. I credit a lot of that to laziness, and while it has gotten me into trouble a few times, it has been more help than hurt.

In the words of Ferris Bueller, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." This is one of the most clichéd statements you’ve ever heard - yet it’s mostly true. College is the best time of your life, but if you spend all of your time rushing from one thing to another you’re going to miss out on a lot. Sometimes it helps to be a little lazy and just view the world around you and take a step back.

That’s where I come in. I’ll pick a topic every week and share with you some lazy ways to make things easy with real word examples from my own life. It might end up being a little “Buzzfeed-y” but I’ll do my best to avoid that.

So back to that pizza earlier. The initial plan for that night was to walk to the Union to get food and then go to late night. Instead, I got the pizza which led to meeting other people hanging out in Buckley. Those are people that I still call friends today. So to recap: being lazy led to pizza and new friends. A bit better than late night, I think.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s contributor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu.