Upcoming book releases for September

UConn's new bookstore, owned by Barnes & Noble, carries a wide selection of books including these topics. (Grant Zitomer/The Daily Campus)

Back-to-school time might mean hitting the books, but it doesn’t mean the only books you should hit are the ones assigned by your professors. Take a break from studying with galaxies, drug cartels and some good ol’ fashioned cooking in the hot new book releases this September.

"Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race" by Margot Lee Shetterly (September 6th)

Before the days of computers, the world’s scientific and aerospace programs relied on human computers: armies of women equipped with slide rules who crunched numbers for NASA. Read the tale of the all-black West Computing group as they overcame the social barriers of their time and rose to help America reach the stars.

"Pigeon Tunnel: Stories from My Life" by John le Carre` (September 6th)

The renowned spy author behind ‘The Spy Who Came in from The Cold’ and other titles shares tales from his life and times in the British Intelligence. From the plains of genocide in Rwanda to a New Year’s party with Yasser Arafat, le Carre` shares his inspiration for his stories and the narrative behind the human condition.  

"Weapons of Math Destruction: How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy" by Cathy O’Neil (September 6th)

In a world dominated by algorithms, where computers sort resumes and programs grade essays, Cathy O’Neil blows the whistle on the opaque and often baffling world behind computer-based determination, and how computer-made decisions can undermine minorities and spell doom for democracy. This raises the question: Who’s calling the shots: man, or machine?

"Mostly Void, Partially Stars and The Great Glowing Coils of The Universe" by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor (September 6th)

The first and second seasons of “Welcome to The Night Vale” compiled and illustrated in printed form. Each book covers one year in the beloved podcast, telling the tale of a sleepy Southwest town where everything is not what it seems. It’s a read for both fans of the podcast and newcomers, with commentary from the voice actors and the creators behind the show.

"StarTalk" by Neil deGrasse Tyson (September 13th)

The popular podcast takes a book form, with astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson parsing the secrets of the universe. Learn about galaxies, the human race and the beginning of time itself, with full color photos and commentary from scientists such as Bill Nye and Dan Aykroyd.

"Wolf Boys: Two American Teenagers and Mexico's Most Dangerous Drug Cartel" by Dan Slater (September 13th)

Star athlete Gabriel Cardona abandons his comfortable American life to work for the notorious Mexican drug cartel, the Zetas, roping his best friend Bart into the dangerous world of crime. As Mexican-born detective Robert Garcia pursues the two, the boys slowly transform from suburban teens into hardened criminals. A nonfiction foray into the dark world of drug smuggling and the flawed execution behind America’s War on Drugs.   

"The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life" by Mark Manson (September 13th)

Blogger Mark Manson defies the happy-go-lucky attitude of modern self-esteem mantaras and delivers a dose of raw truth, removing all sugarcoating from the harsh world and bringing light to the cold, hard reality that is life. With the understanding that life is not fair, Manson espouses how to deal with setbacks and letdowns and deal with your inner insecurities, in order to become a truly happier and all-around better person.

"Alexander Hamilton’s Guide to Life" by Jeff Wilser (September 20th)

Tickets to the ‘Hamilton’ show may be unobtainable, but in the meantime, tide yourself over with the wit and wisdom of America’s founder of the National Bank. With advice on topics from romance, to money management, to leadership, take control of your future and win at life like a Founding Father.

"Atlas Obscura: An Explorer's Guide to the World's Hidden Wonders" by Joshua Foer, Dylan Thuras and Ella Morton (September 20th)

The ultimate vacation guide for lovers of all things weird, the popular online site is coming to print. The world is a strange place, and the Atlas Obscura seeks to explore it. From the oversized Taft Chair in Woolsey Hall, New Haven, to a pub inside a Baobab tree in South Africa, to the Baby Jumping Festival in Spain, this guide has it all.

"Alton Brown: EveryDayCook" by Alton Brown (September 27th)

Famous TV food scientist behind ‘Good Eats’ and ‘Cutthroat Kitchen’ releases a recipe book for the average person, with 101 doable recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and everything in between. Sprinkled with Brown’s trademark scientific explanations and garnished with a sense of humor, this devourable tome has something for everyone.

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu.