Field Hockey: Huskies look to stay undefeated in home opener

UConn field hockey game against UNH on Sept. 11, 2015. The Huskies won 5-0. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The No. 3 UConn field hockey team will open up their home schedule when they host Drexel on Sunday at the Sherman Sports Complex.

The Huskies (2-0) are returning home from a West Coast weekend road trip to open up the season. A 69th-minute goal from UConn’s senior forward won the season opener against the No. 11 Stanford Cardinals. Just two days later the Huskies took a 5-2 victory over the Pacific University Tigers, with two goals each from senior Anna Middendorf and sophomore Amanda Collins.

For their performances in California, Middendorf was named Big East Player of the Week, and Collins was named to the weekly Big East honor roll.

UConn will hope to keep their offense rolling into Sunday; the Huskies outscored opinions 7-3 on the road trip and outshot opponents 30-9.

The Huskies played visitor to Drexel last season in a 6-0 win over the Dragons in Philadelphia. Five different UConn players found the back of the net in the victory, and of those five, three are returning: sophomore Amanda Collins and juniors Casey Umstead and Charlotte Veitner.

The Drexel Dragons dropped their season opener at home in a 4-1 contest to the Richmond Spiders. The Dragons were tied 1-1 at halftime thanks to an early goal from senior Idrienne Walker, but fell apart in the second half, allowing three unanswered goals from the Spiders.

Drexel went 8-11 overall, and 4-2 in the Colonial Athletic Association, in the 2015 season with an extremely young team. The Dragons have returned 11 sophomores and added four freshmen.  They will also be returning three of their four double-digit point scorers from last season: seniors Walker and Jessica McCarthy, and sophomore Megan Wiest.

The Dragons will take on New Hampshire in Durham, New Hampshire, on Friday before heading down to Storrs for Sunday’s game. They will play inner-city rival Temple in their only other Big East game on Sept. 11.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.