Women's Soccer: UConn continues homestand, beats Pacific

The Women's team beat out Pacific 1-0 at Morrone Stadium. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women's soccer team (3-1) continued their homestand Friday when they beat the University of the Pacific (0-2) 1-0.

The match was Pacific’s first game on the east coast since 2009.

The Huskies got off to an early lead as captain Stephanie Ribeiro scored 2:08 seconds into the match. Tanya Altrui got the assist on the goal.

Most of the first half the ball was stuck in the midfield as neither team could create a clear chance.

With 15’ left in the half the Huskies went on the hunt for their second goal and began to pile on the pressure. Despite this UConn could not unlock Pacific's very organized back line.

Pacific was able to create their best chance of the half in the 35’ rattling the crossbar with an effort from 20 yards out.

The Huskies got the second half off to a great start with two very dangerous chances. First, Ribeiro played Rachel Hill in on goal with a through ball that was saved by Pacific keeper Lena Perry.  Shortly after, Ribeiro had a chance to nab her second of the match with a header off a corner kick.

Despite all of their chances UConn could not pull away.

“It was more of us missing chances. We were too tight to get a goal. We've got to bounce back and find a way to put it in the net,” head coach Len Tsantiris said. ”The shots were there. We had a much better percentage of shots that were in the box and on target then them.”

After a miscommunication at the back for UConn, Pacific struck the post for the second time.

Pacific once again had a good scoring opportunity as Maria Frias ended up one-versus-one with goalie Emily Armstrong, but Armstrong made herself big and made the save, stopping a sure goal.

“In close games like this you need a goalie like Emily. A keeper like her a couple of defenders can save the day,” Tsantiris said.

UConn could not get the second goal despite various chances, and were starting to  get frustrated.

“In the second half we were doing the right things, in the first half i was not very happy. We did not push to get inside the box. But in the second half it was what we wanted but without the results,” Tsantiris said.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.