Feeling the Rush: UConn’s nine A Cappella groups perform at Rush Concert

Ruby Fruit performs at the A Capella Rush Concert on Sat., Sept. 10, 2016 at the Jorgensen Center for Performing Arts. (Marissa Aldieri/The Daily Campus)

These musicians don’t need any instruments.

The University of Connecticut’s a cappella groups performed in the Fall 2016 A Capella Rush concert Saturday night at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts, showcasing their talents and styles to students wishing to audition.

Held by the UConn A Capella Association once every semester, the Rush Concert is a popular events for both aspiring singers and music appreciators alike. On the night of the event, the line to buy tickets stretched out the door.

“I went last year and it was really good, so I came back again,” third semester finance major Nikita Patel said.

Others came for the ‘Rush’-- that is to say, to scout out which group best fit their style so they can determine which to audition for.

(Marissa Aldieri/The Daily Campus)

“I want to know what to expect,” Amanda Astrologo, a first semester biomedical engineering major, said. “I want to choose between the groups and see what it’s about.”

UConn’s nine selective and celebrated a capella groups, Conn-Men, Notes Over Storrs, Rubyfruit, A Completely Different Note, A Minor, UConn Chordials, Extreme Measures, Drop The Bass and The Rolling Tones, all performed in the concert, encouraging students to audition.

There was a wide range of styles and tones in the songs performed, from Queen’s ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’ sung by the all-male Conn Men, to West Side Story’s ‘Somewhere’ by the all-female Drop The Bass, to Mumford and Sons’ ‘Little Lion Man’ sung by the co-ed group The Rolling Tones.

“We picked songs people would like,” Rolling Tones member Kalliope Sanderson said, a third semester speech language and theater major, who’s been singing a capella since her freshman year. “It’s a pretty big commitment, [since] it’s a big part of your life.”

Each group performed two songs, interspersed with a small introduction and audition information for those interested. Several groups, including Rubyfruit and A-Minor, announced upcoming albums as well.

The audience, for their part, seemed to appreciate the work put into the concert. Each piece was met with roaring applause and cheers of approval, with some students shouting encouragement to friends performing onstage and others singing and clapping along to the music.   

“It was my first time attending,” third semester pre-pharmacy major Erin Garrison said. “It was really cool!”

Many students in attendance enjoyed the variety of acts offered.

“Every group has something different to offer,” first semester music major Sky Shogren said. “No group was the same. It brings together the entire community of UConn majors to sing.”

The night itself was considered a resounding success. The ticket sale profits, totaling to $600, were donated to HuskyTHON by the Uconn A Capella Association.The crowd cheered at the announcement of the donation at the end of the evening.    

"It’s been a rollercoaster,” Rolling Tones President and presenter Demetrius Porter said. “Everything fell into place and worked out perfectly. The show is important because it puts us out there... it’s important we have people willing to audition. It was a huge success, we couldn’t ask for anything better.

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.