Field Hockey: No. 4 Huskies take care of Harvard

UConn defeated the Drexel Dragons 7-2 at the Sherman Family Sports Complex on Sept. 4, 2016. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

After getting off to a slow start on Friday, the No. 4 UConn field hockey team got the scoring going early in a 4-0 win over Harvard University.

Sunday’s win completes a perfect weekend for the Huskies, (5-0) after traveling to UMass Amherst on Friday for a 2-1 victory. UConn went into the half down 1-0 before scoring two unanswered goals to seal the victory.

The scoring on Sunday got started a lot earlier for the Huskies. UConn got on the board less than nine minutes into the first half.

Head coach Nancy Stevens explained the difference between the two starts.

“Sometimes you attribute that to great play by the opponent. UMass against us on Friday was so stalwart defensively; they thwarted most of our offensive efforts. That’s all credit to them,” Stevens said. “Today it was more of a balanced attack. We scored one form the corner and three from the field. I was real happy with the four goals today.”

Sophomore Amanda Collins logged her second multi-goal game of the season and broke the 0-0 tie when freshman Svea Boker found her with a beautiful pass. Collins found the back of the net again just three minutes later.

With her two goals Sunday, Collins is tied with junior Casey Umstead with a team-high five goals. Stevens knows she has something extraordinary in Collins, the reigning Big East Offensive Player of the Week.

“Amanda’s a very special player. She’s difficult to defend and she has a real good sense of her body in space to go along with her quick trigger,” Stevens said. “I will say Svea Boker gave her a beautiful assist on her first goal. That was a very unselfish play by Svea. I’m just proud of the whole team today.”

The Huskies went into the half leading 2-0, and added goals from Umstead and fellow junior Charlotte Veitner in the second half.

The real story of the day was the UConn defense. The Huskies recorded their first shut out of the season, and just three shots from the Crimson to UConn’s 14.

“Our focus is to get shutouts,” explained Stevens. “Casey [Umstead] has been great at left-back. And Anna [Middendorf] as one of the captains, really runs the defense. During the games you can hear her instructing – a lot of times she’s instructing the umpires – but what she’s doing is leading the defense. I think we really do have four of the top backs in the country.”

The No. 4 Huskies will spend the week preparing for a tough weekend as they travel to play No. 15 Old Dominion on Friday and No. 11 Virginia on Saturday.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering field hockey. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.