UConn Police dealing with cost of body cameras

The UConn police department, shown above, has had their officers wear body cameras since early July. (File/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut Police Department, as well as other agencies around the state, have been wearing body cameras since early July in compliance with a new law, however some have already had problems with video storage.

Police in Berlin, Conn. have stopped using body cameras because of storage, the Associated Press reported.

The cost for storing the footage for 90 days instead of 60, which the department was doing before, was too much of an expense. The footage could even be stored up to four years if the footage was being used as evidence in a case, Berlin PD Chief Paul Fitzgerald told the AP.

This problem is seen not only in Connecticut, but also in other states with similar laws and programs such as Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan, the AP reported.

During the pilot program earlier this year, when seven UCPD officers wore body cameras, there were no problems with storage. However, storage may become a problem in the future.

“We didn’t run into any problems in the pilot program,” Chief Hans Rhynhart said earlier this year. “We made several adjustments to our operational needs as far as looking into how long battery life lasts, what type of policies inside the department we needed to adjust.”

The system that UCPD is currently using can hold up to 15,000 hours of video: “We can add more storage if needed,” Rhynhart said.

As of Sept. 7, UCPD collected about 1,000 hours of video, according to Rhynhart.

One problem that may come up in the future is the system maintenance, as video storage is expensive.

Having all 82 UCPD officers wear body cameras and any additional equipment costs $200,000, Rhynhart said earlier this year.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrland