Volleyball: Huskies sweep weekend at Dog Pound Challenge

The UConn women's volleyball team beat St. Francis Brooklyn 3-1 on Saturday September 10, 2016 at Gampel Pavilion. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut women’s volleyball team went undefeated this weekend, sweeping all three of their opponents in the Dog Pound Challenge. Most of their success can be attributed to their offense.

In their first match-up against Loyola Maryland, they dominated the Greyhounds. The Huskies recorded 49 kills while Loyola only had 19. Of the 49 kills recorded, four different players had nine or more kills. Junior Danielle Cabel and redshirt freshman Kayla Williams each recorded a game-high 11 kills each, while senior Hayley Cmajdalka and junior Tosin Adeniyi had nine apiece. The Huskies also had a 43-17 assist advantage over the Greyhounds, with sophomore Emma Turner and senior Rebecca Rivera recording 20 and 18 assists respectively.

Just a few hours later the Huskies dominated Yale with another outstanding offensive team performance. Williams recorded a match-high and career-high 17 kills while senior Jade Strawberry had nine kills. The Huskies recorded 44 kills to the Bulldogs’ 22. Turner led the team with 22 assists.

On Saturday, it was the same story as the past two games, as the Huskies asserted their dominance on offense, this time against St. Francis of Brooklyn. UConn had a 42-20 advantage in kills and a 35-19 edge in assists over the Terriers. Williams was named the tournament’s MVP after recording 12 kills and ten assists against the Terriers, while Turner had another game as the team leader in assists with 14.

Matt Fontaine is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus, covering lacrosse. He can be reached via email at matthew.fontaine@uconn.edu.