Football: Around the American

Houston head coach Tom Herman looks on during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Lamar, Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016, in Houston. (Eric Christian Smith/AP)

While UConn at Navy was the only American Conference matchup in Week 2, nine other teams in the American Athletic Conference were in action against nonconference opponents.

Overall, the American went 7-4 on the week. Each team playing at home secured a win, while Cincinnati was the only member of the conference to win on the road.

Cincinnati’s win at Purdue was its first road win over a Big Ten opponent since 1957, when the Bearcats (2-0) won at Indiana. Quarterback Hayden Moore led Cincinnati’s offensive attack, passing for three touchdowns and running for two more. The Bearcats defense intercepted Purdue quarterback David Blough five times in a 38-20 victory.

No. 6 in the latest AP Poll, Houston had to turn to backup quarterback Kyle Postma for their game against Lamar. The Cougars (2-0) took care of business, with their only issue being a three-hour lightning delay in the 42-0 win. Houston travels to Cincinnati on Thursday to begin each team’s conference schedule.

Tulsa and UCF had tough road matchups against AP top five schools this week, at Ohio State and Michigan, respectively. As expected, both the Golden Hurricane (1-1) and the Knights (1-1) were blown out, losing by more than 35 points each.

East Carolina was victorious against instate rival North Carolina State, 33-30. The Pirates (2-0) secured their sixth straight win over ACC opponents behind a balanced attack of 297 passing yards and 148 rushing yards. Anthony Scott led the Pirates, finishing with 90 total yards and two touchdowns, including the go-ahead score with 5:49 remaining in the game.

USF easily beat Northern Illinois behind the 350-yard, four-touchdown performance of quarterback Quinton Flowers. Flowers also added 53 yards on the ground and the Bulls (2-0) outgained the Huskies 658-318 in the 48-17 win.

Houston at Cincinnati and Navy at Tulane will be the only American conference games this week. Notable non-conference games include UConn hosting Virginia, USF at Syracuse and Temple at Penn State.

Josh Buser is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.