Men's Soccer: UConn looks to bounce back against No. 1 Notre Dame

Nicholas Zuniga makes a play during UConn's 2-0 victory over Cornell on Sept. 5, 2016 at Morrone Stadium. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Getting back to the win column won’t be easy. The UConn men’s soccer team dropped their road opener at Georgetown. Next up: No. 1 Notre Dame on Tuesday afternoon at Alumni Field.

UConn (3-2-0) was beaten 1-0 by the Hoyas on Saturday night in Washington, D.C. despite a strong performance from redshirt-junior goalkeeper Scott Levene. He made a season-high six saves.

The Huskies conceded the lone goal of the contest in the 42nd minute to Brian Campbell. Hoya keeper JT Marcinkowski kept the Huskies off the score sheet with three saves.

Sophomore striker Abdou Mbacke Thiam is the team’s leading scorer, registering five points on a pair of goals.

The Notre Dame defense has been stout. The backline has allowed just two goals on 62 opposing shots and kept three clean sheets. Also, center back Brandon Aubrey is coming off the best game of his collegiate career, where he notched his first career hattrick in a victory over Virginia Tech.

It will be the first matchup between the former Big East rivals since the semifinal round of the 2012 Big East Conference Championship in Chester, Penn. The Irish emerged victorious with a 1-0 final score on their way to a third and final Big East tournament championship.

UConn is 11-8-4 all-time against the Fighting Irish in a series dating back to 1986. Notre Dame enters the match as the top team in the weekly NSCAA poll after beginning the 2016 season campaign with a 5-0-0 mark. The Fighting Irish are coming off a 5-0 victory over Cal their last time out.

Elan-Paolo DeCarlo is the associate digital editor for The Daily Campus, covering men's basketball. He can be reached via email at elan-paolo.decarlo@uconn.edu. He tweets @ElanDeCarlo.