Netflix is taking over television

People all around the world from over 190 countries watch approximately 125 million hours of Netflix every single day. This means that there are more hours spent watching Netflix in a single day than people live in one lifetime, according to Netflix Media Center.

Richard Greenfield, a BTIG researcher, said in a Business Insider article, that Netflix is the sixth most watched network, following only behind CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX and the Disney Channel.

Netflix has only been around less than 10 years compared to the major networks that have dominated television for double, triple or even quadruple the time.

It’s evident that Netflix is becoming more and more prevalent in our society and it seems that as the entertainment company produces more original shows, it’s popularity heightens even more.

In 2013, House of Cards, which is Netflix's first extremely popular and successful original series, won three primetime Emmys. This was also the first time an Internet TV network had been nominated for a primetime Emmy, according to Netflix Media Center. Other successful Netflix originals include: “Orange is the New Black,” “Marvel’s Daredevil,” “Bloodline,” “Narcos” and “Marco Polo.”

One of the most crazed and talked about Netflix originals that premiered this summer was “Stranger Things.” This dramatic Sci-Fi series has a captivating, unusual and unique storyline unlike anything I have yet to see.

The Netflix description is as follows: “When a young boy vanishes, a small town uncovers a mystery involving secret experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one strange little girl.”

Everything from how the characters speak, what they wear, and the props used, help make the viewers feel they are in this mystifying town set in the 1980's.  The characters are extremely well played and the acting is superb. If you have not yet seen this show – do so.

Prepare to be transported to this mysterious town, with its chilling secrets. Every episode is utterly enthralling and the last episode leaves you begging for more. Luckily for viewers – Netflix just released an announcement this month that season two will be out in 2017.

Another Netflix original that is obtaining a huge audience is Marvel’s Daredevil.

Many know of Marvel comics – well Netflix brought this one to life. It has had such success, that Netflix is now on a superhero roll: with its release of Marvel’s Jessica Jones in 2015, this month’s release of Marvel’s Luke cage, and Marvel’s Iron fist is said to be released in 2017.

Marvel’s Daredevil is an extremely thrilling and action packed series. The show is very complex because it goes into Matt Murdock’s (Daredevil) childhood, college life and present day life, while incorporating other characters including Wilson Fisk and Frank Castle or as you superhero ‘know it all’s’ out there would call them – Kingpin and The Punisher.

Murdock is a blind lawyer during the day, and at night he puts on his Daredevil suit and protects Hell’s Kitchen. The Daredevil series is jam packed with intense fight scenes and villains.

This show was my first experience with the superhero genre and it completely reeled me in. Daredevil is a great for people who have not experienced much of the superhero world and hardcore superhero fans alike.

Thanks to Netflix and Netflix originals, people have instant access to hundreds of shows online that are not offered on their TVs. Netflix is also constantly releasing new series, so it’s no surprise that people continue to spend hours on the site.

Kate Campbell is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kate.campbell@uconn.edu.