One Season Wonder: CBS’s “Stalker” deserved more

Not all television shows succeed getting to season two, but we’ve definitely all been a fan of at least one series that was too short-lived. One of the shows on my list includes CBS’ “Stalker.”

Each episode focused on a different victim of stalking and the detectives of the Los Angeles Police Department’s Treat Assessment Unit (TAU) who investigated those crimes. It was a crime drama meets psychological thriller much like “Criminal Minds,” but a tad more hardcore. Boundaries were pushed, the pilot beginning with a crying woman being changed, and later burning alive inside of a car.

It first debuted on Oct. 1, 2014 and ran every Wednesday night at 10 p.m. until May 18, 2015.  The show was created by Kevin Williamson, who is known for having major successes in the television and movie world with “Dawson’s Creek,” “The Vampire Diaries” and “Scream” among other things.

Household names Dylan McDermott (from “American Horror Story”) and Maggie Q (from the “Divergent” series) were the main characters in the series. McDermott played Detective Jack Larsen who recently transferred from New York City’s homicide division to the TAU. Maggie Q, plays his boss Lieutenant Beth Davis who viewers learn has personal experience as a victim that still haunts her. The show carries with the two of them, as well as the rest of their team balancing drama in their own lives and stopping crime in their work lives.

Lisa de Moraes wrote in a Deadline article last June how “Stalker” was “the most-watched freshman series to get the hook (10.1 million)” and also “the highest-rated freshman series, demo-wise, to bite the dust in this just-concluded TV season.”

“Stalk” received a lot of negative comments from critics because of the “very first gruesome scene” in the pilot and overall for being “a bland show that does more harm than good with what it portrays on screen."

Although critics were hard on the show, Rotten Tomatoes showed an 80 percent “liked it” score from the audience.

With shows like this, the focus tends to be more on the characters that come and go throughout each episode. What was enjoyable about “Stalker” is that viewers got to see more into the personal lives of the main characters.

Also as someone who is into horror and thriller type series, it’s difficult to find something made within the last 10 years that actually keeps me on my toes and terrified. This show always kept me unsure about what was about to happen next.

It’s unfortunate that the show had to come to an end, especially because the last episode left fans on a cliff hanger, but nonetheless, it was good while it lasted.

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa.