Point/Counterpoint: Who you got? It's either the Cowboy's Prescott or the Eagles' Wentz

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (4) scrambles out of the pocket under pressure from New York Giants' Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (41) in the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday Sept. 11, 2016, in Arlington, Texas. (Ron Jenkins/AP)

Nathaniel Benson and Matthew Kren debate over Dak Prescott of the Dallas Cowboys and Carson Wentz of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Nathaniel Benson: Dak Prescott of the Dallas Cowboys and Carson Wentz of the Philadelphia Eagles both had a good week, but Wentz had the better game this weekend. Wentz threw for two touchdowns compared to Prescott, who did not throw any touchdowns. Wentz doesn’t have a complete offense to work with as Prescott does. Wentz has Jordan Matthews, Zach Ertz and Ryan Matthews. Prescott, on the other hand, has a deep receiving corps of Cole Beasley, Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams. We can’t forget lifetime elite tight end Jason Witten, the best offensive line in football, along with Ezekiel Elliott and Alfred Morris in the backfield, possibly one of the top backfield tandems. Wentz threw for more yards, too. Wentz threw for 278 yards and Prescott threw for 227 yards. Even adding Prescott’s rush yards is still about 39 yards off of Wentz’s passing yard total. Wentz’s Sunday was better than Prescott’s, but both have bright futures ahead of them.

Matthew Kren: Statistically, yes, Wentz did have a slightly better outing, but I think in your argument you overlooked a few glaring points. First, the New York Giants, who spent over 200 million dollars this spring on defense, are an immensely better opponent than the Cleveland Browns. Wentz was against arguably the worst team in the NFL and the second worst defense, behind the New Orleans Saints. Secondly, Prescott had much less time to prepare for the spotting role compared to Wentz and Wentz was picked in the first round in comparison to Prescott, who was drafted in the fourth round. Prescott was efficient, poised and ran an effective drive at the end that put them in position to win.

Benson: I like your points, but spending a lot of money doesn’t make a defense become top five. The Giants, last year, were one of the bottom five defenses in the league. Adding three big money free agents and a first round defensive back doesn’t all of a sudden create a solid defense. Their line backing corps is still very shaky. Wentz wasn’t exactly an automatic starter either, until Sam Bradford was traded away. Also, as bad as the Browns are, they’re still an NFL team. Anything could’ve happened that game. Joe Haden is a very good cornerback too. Prescott is still good, but Wentz gets the upper hand this time.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz passes during the first half of an NFL football game against the Cleveland Browns, Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016, in Philadelphia. (Matt Rourke/AP)

Kren: Many pundits this year have the Browns as the worst defense and on track to be the worst in NFL history, as Tim Tebow could have scored 20 points on this team. Nonetheless, last year with Romo out, the Cowboys, headed by Brandon Weeden and Matt Cassel, struggled to stay competitive as they averaged 17.2 points per game and were the 22nd ranked overall offense in the league and 27th in passing. This is in comparison to the Eagles last year who were ranked 12th overall and 12th in passing. Prescott was able to help manage a game, not commit any turnovers and keep the Cowboys in the game, not only in his first start, but in under a few weeks of preparation.

Benson: Wentz definitely has a much tougher road going from here. He can most definitely develop to be one of the better quarterbacks if he continues to find Jordan Matthews and Zach Ertz. The Eagles play the Cowboys, Giants and Washington Redskins twice later on as well as the teams in the National Football Conference and American Football Conference North. Eagles play the Atlanta Falcons this year, which could mean another good day for Wentz. Seattle will probably be one of his tougher opponents. Wentz might top 3500 yards passing this year.

Kren: Wentz will definitely have his opportunities to shine this year as well as Prescott. With Romo out until possibly week nine, Prescott will lead the Cowboys against some stiff competition such as the Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers and Green Bay Packers defense. Look for Prescott to get Dez Bryant more targets early on next game and to scramble more around the pocket. Given a little more preparation and room to grow in the season, Prescott will be able to become a dual threat quarterback on what should be a very capable offensive team.

Nathaniel Benson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at nathaniel.benson@uconn.edu.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering UConn volleyball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.