Huskies rare and unspectacular in Week One of NFL

Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Terrell McClain (97) celebrates tackling New York Giants running back Rashad Jennings as Eli Manning (10) watches in the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday Sept. 11, 2016, in Arlington, Texas. (Ron Jenkins/AP)

Although UConn has recently increased its total number of players in the National Football League, week one of the NFL season looked unspectacular as only three former Huskies managed to play. Sophomore Byron Jones started for the Dallas Cowboys in their loss to the New York Giants, and fifth season veteran Kendall Reyes subbed in as defensive tackle for the Washington Redskins in their loss Monday night to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Jones was good for one tackle and Reyes was able to register two.

The most impressive performance by a Husky alumni in week one came from linebacker Sio Moore, who registered 10 solo tackles and three assisted in the Indianapolis Colts loss to the Detroit Lions. Moore went to West Haven High School and is entering his fourth season in the NFL.

Long-time Giants left tackle Will Beatty was released by the team at the end of last season before being re-signed by the Giants the last week of preseason. He wasn’t declared game ready and needs to work back into the lineup.

Two players who played for the Huskies last year made their way to NFL rosters as undrafted free agency. Andrew Adams was picked up as a defensive back for the New York Giants and did not manage to play week one. The Chicago Bears picked up Wethersfield native Kenton Adeyemi before he was waived in June, leading to a signing with the Cleveland Browns to replace offensive linemen Michael Bowie, who they placed on the reserve/retired list. Adeyemi played little in the preseason and did not play in week one either.

Additional athletes who played in preseason but did not play week one include Nick Williams for the Falcons, Jordan Todman for the Colts, Shamar Stephens for the Vikings, as well as long-time veteran and Connecticut hero Dan Orlovsky. Also, veteran corner Robert McClain was unable to start week one after ending his season in the Carolina Panthers loss to the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50.

Joe Burns is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.burns@uconn.edu.