Women's Soccer: No. 23 Huskies look to continue dominance against Colgate

UConn Women's Soccer beat Stony Brook on September 11, with a final score of 4-1. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

This Thursday, No.23 UConn women’s soccer team (6-2) will travel north to take on Colgate.

After a loss to No.1 Florida State last week, the Huskies fell from the No.17 spot to No.23.

Colgate is 2-2-3 on the season so far. In their last game, the Raiders lost a heartbreaker to Central Connecticut State, falling in overtime, 1-0.

UConn beat the Blue Devils earlier this season 2-1.

Colgate’s record is not representative of how the team has actually played this season. The Raiders started their season with back to back overtime draws to Syracuse and New Hampshire. Four of Colgate’s seven matches this season have gone to overtime, with the Raiders failing to emerge victorious in all of them.

Abby Sotomayor will be someone the Huskies backline will need to look out for. The freshman leads her team with eight points this season. The Raiders will also be looking to Eliza Doll and Sarah Coy for contributions. Both players have five points respectively on the season.

The match against the Huskies is the Raiders’ final bout before they begin conference play against American.

The Huskies have dominated the all-time series 9-0 and will be likely feeling confident heading into the midweek match.

UConn is coming off their best offensive showing of the year last weekend as the Huskies cruised to a 4-1 victory against Stony Brook. The match was head coach Len Tsantiris 500th career win.

Redshirt senior Stephanie Ribeiro continued her great form this season scoring two in the last game. The Rhode Island native has 14 points this season and has been crucial for the Huskies. Another player who the Huskies will need to help spark the offense is Rachel Hill. Hill has 10 points so far this season and will be looking to improve her tally as she chases the program's all-time goal scoring record.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.