Why every college student should go green

Saving the planet is not always more expensive, and often the two go hand in hand, writes Dan Wood in his series on going green. (Alex Wood/The Daily Campus)

We all must become citizens and stewards of the future or perish from this earth.

Why not save money at the same time? Most would agree keeping a little extra green every month would be beneficial to our bank accounts. Low prices drive the hoards of college students to and from pizza joints, liquor stores and the like. These may not be the healthiest options but they are perceived as being economic as long as the price is low.

Many identify being organic, healthy and sustainable often comes with a bigger price tag, but this is not so and that is what this column is all about. Making small changes in your everyday life, which you might not have even thought about, could save you more than you might think. Saving money and saving the planet often go hand in hand and these articles are here to show you the why and the how.

This series is designed with the intent to get to the core of what sustainable living really means and how to obtain that, even for college students on a budget. Connecting the earth, your community, your local farms, your university and your body is a truly empowering thing mentally and physically. My objective is to help anyone who is reading to save money inside and outside the kitchen.

As you read this you might be thinking that being sustainable, especially when it comes to food, is going to require some degree of cooking skills. You’re not wrong but if you don’t learn to cook, then your food will be in the hands of others for the rest of your life. This series is here to help you take control of that too, without adding additional stress to your daily lives. That doesn’t mean giving up on your favorite foods, it just means getting to know them a little better.

Good cooking comes from the heart and the senses and should be an emotional expression of sorts, not a panic attack or rigorous science experiment. I (the author) am a recent graduate of the nation’s top culinary school, The Culinary Institute of America, and it would be my honor to guide the minds and stomachs of any one who is willing. The more knowledgeable people are about food, the more innovation and creativity is driven in an industry we all love.

In these articles, we shall explore the micro and the macro impacts of our choices as consumers and what that has the power to change in our country and even the planet. Consumers have some of the greatest economic power in the world and our preference and habits can, and will, impact the world that our children and other future generations will be born into. As new adults, it is time to confront ourselves about things that are bigger than us.

Dan Wood is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.wood@uconn.edu