Fantasy Football: Who we're starting and sitting Week Two

Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson passes against the Miami Dolphins in the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 11, 2016, in Seattle. (Stephen Brashear/AP)

A crazy week one in the NFL season is behind us and you fantasy owners are either wearing a proud smile with the feeling that your team is unstoppable, or questioning every pick you’ve ever made and praying there is a solid free agent out there to put on your team! Well, week one in the NFL had 11 games that were decided by just one possession, which shows how wild and unpredictable the league really is. Even with that being the case, here I go again, telling you who I think you should start and sit for week two!

Start QB: Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks

You may have read that and thought to yourself, ‘that’s ridiculous, he’s listed as questionable.’ Well, ESPN’s most recent update on Wilson’s status is that he can play through the injury even though he may lack mobility. So, even though there is some risk, this is why I think Russell Wilson will have a huge week two: he’s playing the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams suffered an atrocious 28-0 loss to the San Francisco 49ers on Monday Night Football and made Blaine Gabbert, a below-average quarterback, look like an absolute stud. Gabbert only threw for 170 yards, but he did run for almost 50 yards, have a throwing percentage of 63%, complete a passing touchdown and managed to not have a single turnover. Now you may be asking what this has to do with Russell Wilson. Well, Wilson is one of the most efficient quarterbacks the NFL has to offer. He is a Super Bowl champion starting quarterback and a guy who can really do everything. Although he didn’t have a stout week one, Wilson was the third best fantasy quarterback in the league last year and I expect him to be back to solid fantasy form against the messy LA defense in week two.

Sit QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a guy who can put up big numbers, and has two pretty great targets in Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. But in a game versus Bills coach Rex Ryan, I don’t think I would ever start Fitzpatrick. Both teams are coming off of week one losses, and I don’t see the Jets being the AFC East team to get their first win this week on Thursday Night Football. Fitzpatrick has had an awful performance versus Ryan in his career, despite the team he was coaching. Fitzpatrick has played Ryan’s defense 11 times, throwing under 50% with 12 interceptions in those meetings. Last year, Ryan’s Bills beat up on the Jets twice, including week in 17 when the Jets needed to win to get a spot in the playoffs. Fitzpatrick’s two worst fantasy games last year (not including the one vs. Oakland in which he was injured in the first half) were versus the Bills. Rex Ryan has had the Jets number since his departure from New York and he’s had Fitzpatricks number for his whole career, so take my advice and sit Fitz out.

Start RB: C.J. Anderson, Denver Broncos

Week one started off with a huge win for the defending Super Bowl champion Denver Broncos and they were led to victory by their running back, C.J. Anderson. Anderson was the third highest scoring running back week one and I do not expect him to slow down. With young quarterback Trevor Siemian starting under center for Anderson’s Broncos, I believe he will keep getting a whole bunch of touches. This week the Broncos are up against the Indianapolis Colts and although the Colts didn’t have the ball run against them much versus Detroit in week one, they couldn’t stop it when the Lions did run the ball . The Lions’ two running backs averaged 5.7 yards per carry which is awful on Indy’s behalf. I don’t see any reason why Anderson can’t keep up his hot start versus a defense that is obviously worse than the one he faced week one.

Sit RB: Jonathan Stewart, Carolina Panthers

Although I expect the Panthers to bounce back from their heartbreaking week one loss, I cannot say that I think Jonathan Stewart will have anything to do with it. Stewart had a pretty bad week one, understandably, versus the defending Super Bowl champions, but only scoring six fantasy points in a standard ESPN league? That’s pretty bad. I think his rough start will continue this week after watching what the San Francisco 49ers’ defensive line did to young superstar running back Todd Gurley on Monday Night Football. Gurley was a projected first round pick in this year’s ESPN standard fantasy league, and is coming off of a Rookie of the Year campaign, but had questionably one of the worst outings from a running back in week one. I cannot see Stewart beating up on the Niners if Gurley couldn’t - it just doesn’t seem plausible. If you’re looking for another reason to bench Stewart, the outlook is still dim after reports stated his limited ability after receiving an injury during practice Wednesday.

Start WR: Sammie Coates, Eli Rogers, or Markus Wheaton, Pittsburgh Steelers

You probably saw this and laughed at the fact that I picked multiple Steelers wide receivers and did not choose the best receiver in the NFL, Antonio Brown, who happens to be their teammate. Let me explain. After that monster week one that Brown had, I expect their week two opponent and divisional rival, the Cincinnati Bengals, to show Brown a lot of extra attention this week. The Bengals did a good job holding Pro Bowler, Brandon Marshall, to very little action during week one and I don’t think they can lock down Brown, but I can see it being a rough time for him compared to the joke of a coverage scheme that Washington showed him. Now, his teammates on the other hand, I expect them to be open - and open a lot. Which of them it may be, I am not sure. Wheaton is questionable for Sunday’s game while Coates and Rogers both had decent games during week one, but I expect them all to get a lot of action. For further assurance that this is solid advice, the Bengals gave up the most fantasy points to the Jets number three receiver Quincy Enunwa in week one, which is exactly what I think will happen with the Steelers in week two.

Sit WR: Any Wide Receiver Playing for the Cleveland Browns

Once again, the Cleveland Browns are having quarterback problems, which means any receiver that is on the Browns depth chart just went from sitting down on the bench to dropping off of the team. Last week, the Browns totaled 12 fantasy points between their wide receivers. That is pitiful. You may say, ‘well they probably targeted their tight end a whole bunch!’ Nope, their tight ends totaled zero fantasy points. Now, with the 37-year old Josh McCown back as quarterback for the Browns, don’t expect things to get any better. The Browns are going up against a team in the Baltimore Ravens that held the Bills’ Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods and Percy Harvin all under ten fantasy points last week. Don’t expect this week to be any different, this will be a long week two for the Cleveland Browns’ wideouts.

Bobby Farris is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at robert.farris@uconn.edu.