Men’s Soccer: Huskies look to bounce back

UConn's Niko Petridis battles for possession in a game against Cornell on September 5th. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s soccer team returns home this Saturday night to play the Loyola (Maryland) Greyhounds at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium, after a two-game two loss road trip. This will be UConn’s last non-conference weekend match of the season, as they start their conference schedule the following Saturday at home against American Athletic Conference rival Temple.

This game will be the first ever meeting between the Huskies and the Greyhounds, who play in the Patriot League. Loyola will be the second team, after University of Nebraska-Omaha, that UConn plays for the first time this season.

The Huskies (3-3-0) recently put up a good fight on the road against both Georgetown and No.1 Notre Dame. Unfortunately, UConn couldn’t come out of their road trip with a win, losing both games by the score of 1-0, including a double overtime loss to the Fighting Irish.

The Huskies should be quite excited to be back at home, however, especially considering the team is 24-6-7 at Morrone Stadium over the last three years. This year, in particular, UConn is 3-1 at home with the only loss against a solid Louisville team. The Huskies have outscored their opponents 19-6 over their last nine home matches and have shutout the other team on four occasions over that span.

Loyola (Maryland) comes into the game with a 1-4 record, having lost to High Point 3-1 just last Saturday. The Greyhounds have only scored four goals in their first five matches of the season, and have been shutout in two of those games. This should bode well for the Huskies, whose defense has been in form as of late, along with goalkeeper Scott Levene, who had monster performances in losing efforts during the road trip.

Levene has allowed five goals in six games, making 22 saves in the process with a .815 save percentage and a .81 goals against average. He’s also posted two clean sheets in his team’s three wins. Despite the 3-3 record, his play has really been elevated again this year, which is key to the Huskies’ success come tournament time.

All in all, the stage seems set for UConn to bounce back this Saturday with a big win, and hopefully get their season back on track. The game-to-game consistency hasn’t quite been there for the team so far, but a win this Saturday could be the beginning of a winning streak for the Huskies and will help to boost the team’s confidence.

Chris Hanna is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu.