Police report shoplifting at UConn Bookstore

The UConn Bookstore (Grant Zitomer/The Daily Campus)

Since the beginning of this semester there have been two incidents when the University of Connecticut police were called to the Bookstore because of shoplifting, but according to previous numbers that is not uncommon.

Within three days UCPD officers were called to the UConn Bookstore because of shoplifting incidents.

The first incident was on Sept. 6 when Loss Prevention saw Lorrin Liang, 20, of Storrs, trying to leave the Bookstore with items that total to $31.88, according to the arrest log.

Loss Prevention is not quite security, but can act like it, UCPD Captain Scott Sleeman said.

“They [Loss Prevention] do provide a service that has security components but the term theft prevention is actually more than security and is a large industry,” he said. 

The second incident was on Sept. 9 when Loss Prevention and UCPD reviewed footage of Kiana Maisonet, 19, of Storrs, taking off a price tag from a T- Shirt and putting it in her bag, according to the arrest log. In the footage Maisonet was seen paying for other items and trying to leave the store without paying for the shirt and she later admitted to stealing the T-Shirt, according to the arrest log.

Shoplifting incidents at the UConn Bookstore when it was still the UConn Co-Op, that required the assistance of UCPD was not at all uncommon.

“Our department has been called 20 times from Jan. 1, 2016 to Sept. 14, 2016,” Sleeman said. “Not all calls result in arrests as some cases get referred directly to university community standards by the book store, but we arrive to provide additional help.”

UCPD was also called on to help at the UConn Co-Op 41 times in 2015 and 37 times in 2014, he said.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu. She tweets @AnnabelleOrlando