Ballard Institute presents ‘El Beto’ tonight

The Benton's "First Folio" program will continue with a puppetry show presented by the Ballard Institute tonight. The program kicked off on Thursday, Sept. 1 with the "First Folio" exhibit in the Benton Museum. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Tonight the Ballard Institute & Museum presents a one-man hand puppet adaptation of William Shakespeare’s “Macbeth” titled “El Beto” at 8 p.m. as part of the University of Connecticut’s “First Folio” program this month.

UConn MFA student, Kalob Martinez puts his own twist on the classic story by setting it amongst the Mexican Drug cartel.

The performance “explores the present day Mexican drug cartel and the worship of the world’s fastest growing religion, Santa Muerte,” according to a press release.

Martinez will use a combination of shadow puppetry and hand puppetry and present in both English and Spanish. The event is free to the public.

“El Beto” is one of the many activities at UConn in support of the “First Folio! The Book That Gave Us Shakespeare” currently displayed at the William Benton Museum of Art until Sept. 25.

The Ballard Institute & Museum of Puppetry is located in Storrs Center, One Royce Circle. More information can be found at shakespeare.uconn.edu.

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa