Cute is What We Aim For brings 10-year anniversary tour to The Space

Cute is What We Aim For front man Shaant Hacikyan, interacted heavily with the crowd all night. (Angie DeRosa/The Daily Campus)

Cute is What We Aim For fans gathered at The Space in Hamden Tuesday night to celebrate the 10-year anniversary of the bands first album.

The Buffalo, New York natives played “The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch” in its entirety to a sold out crowd to relieve the 2006 nostalgia.

Local artists Sarah Barrios, Jose Oyola and Crash the Party warmed up the crowd before hand.

Front man Shaant Hacikyan, interacted heavily with the crowd all night by directly going up to people standing in the front–singing with them, holding hands, touching foreheads and dancing.

He did this to ensure everyone in an attendance would have a night they would never forget because as he put it, “YOLO” (you only live once.)

Tuesdays are a whole lot better when you get to relive 2006 with @cuteiswhatweaimfor_official

A video posted by Angie DeRosa (@theangiederosa) on

Concertgoers went crazy during hit-classics “Newport Living,” “There’s a Class for This” and the song that started their success “The Curse of Curves” by out-singing Hacikyan in all of the songs.

Between songs, Hacikyan would say time and time again how surreal and grateful he was to be getting the chance to perform for fans again.

The band took a hiatus after performing the Vans Warped Tour in 2014.  After announcing the 10-year anniversary tour in March of this year, Hacikyan posted on social media he never thought they’d be playing shows again.

Cutie is What We Aim For had a select few cities lined up for the tour and then used Fanbassador, a crowd-funding platform to bring fans concerts from their favorite artists, to choose the rest of the tours route.

This tour was all about the fans and giving them the show of their dreams. In the initial Facebook post Hacikyan made announcing the tour, he said

“None of this would be possible without you. By 'this' I mean CIWWAF. Making sure that you know that is something I take very seriously. We would never have had the life altering experiences and opportunities without your support. You are responsible for making the dreams of 3 clueless kids become a reality. As you can see, words cannot convey what I'm trying to say so it looks like we'll have to play some shows so we can show you in person.”

During the last song of the evening, “Teasing to Please,” he invited 10 fans to join him on stage to sing the closing chorus.  All in all the show in Hamden, which was the second date of the tour, was a night fans will never forget.

Setlist (in order): “Newport Living,” “There’s a Class for This,” “Finger Tiwst & Split,” “Risqué,” Sweat the Battle Before the Battle Sweats You,” “The Fourth Drink Instinct,” “Sweet Talk 101,” “The Curse of Curves,” “I Put the ‘Metro’ in Metronome,” “Lyrical Lies,” “Moan” and “Teasing to Please (Left Side, Strong Side).”

Angie DeRosa is the life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at angelina.derosa@uconn.edu.  She tweets @theangiederosa.