Women's Soccer: Huskies take down Colgate

UConn soccer in a game against CCSU on Sept. 4th. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

Coming off a large victory over Stony Brook over the weekend, the Huskies headed to Hamilton, New York to face Colgate at home. The Raiders (2-3-3) came into the game off a 1-0 loss to Central Connecticut State in overtime, a team UConn beat earlier in the season.

UConn (7-2) would nearly give up the first goal. Colgate put the pressure on early and was outshooting the Huskies for most of the first half. Around the 23rd minute Colgate was pressuring and freshman forward Abby Sotomayor would put a shot on, one of several for her in the first half, but senior keeper Emily Armstrong made a huge save to keep the game scoreless.

The Huskies countered with their strongest offense push of the half. After Armstrong’s save UConn would have the next five shots. In 35 minutes the Huskies would strike.

Freshman Kristen Vinciguerra, who came on for Danielle Gottwik as a substitute at outside wing minutes earlier, would put a shot on. Raiders’ goalie Kelly Chiavoro, only a freshman, would make the initial save but the ball was still in play. Senior Rachel Hill would find the ball and it put away five seconds later for the first goal of the night and her fifth of the season.

With the goal and offensive momentum on their side, the Huskies were able to generate one more shot in the half about a minute later but Colgate could not. The Huskies would only outshoot the Raiders 10-7 in the first half but were dominant when it came to shots on goal where they held an 8-1 advantage. Colgate generated more corners, but four fouls and two off sides would hurt them.

Colgate would come out as the aggressor to begin the second. Armstrong would have to make six saves in the first 15 minutes of play, including an impressive kick save. Junior midfielder Eliza Doll and senior forward Sarah Coy led the way for Colgate in pressuring Armstrong.

The action would go back and forth for a while. Senior Stephanie Ribeiro had some chances including a corner kick that Hill got her head on but just missed as it hit the cross bar. Meanwhile Colgate would keep the action going in UConn’s end, as Armstrong had to come up big again.

Despite not dominating the action, UConn would strike again. This time it would be Ribeiro, notching her seventh of the season on an assist from Vinciguerra. It would be the last goal of the game.

UConn would walk away with a 2-0 victory but didn’t leave without a challenge. The game ended in even shots, both teams had 20. The Huskies would also allow 10 shots on goal while putting on 13 themselves. Before making a big 10 saves tonight, Armstrong was averaging only 3.4 per game, mostly to lack of shots. Colgate drew several more corners than the Huskies but infractions would hurt them.

The Huskies will have a whole week to rest and recuperate before they host Fordham at Morrone Stadium on Thursday the 22nd for their last non-conference game of the season.

Matt Barresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.