UConn needs wifi ‘secured’

There have been multiple outages this semester when both of the Wi-Fi connections, UCONN-SECURE and UCONN-GUEST, are not functioning. These problems affect both the daily life and education of students on campus. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The campus wireless Internet service at the University of Connecticut in Storrs has been experiencing problems recently. There have been multiple outages this semester when both of the Wi-Fi connections, UCONN-SECURE and UCONN-GUEST, are not functioning. One of these outages occurred on Sept. 6, and it lasted about an hour, with disruptions both before and after the event. Just a few days later, on Sept. 9, there was another outage in the afternoon that lasted over two hours. These problems affect both the daily life and education of students on campus.

The Internet has become an integral part of education in the twenty-first century, and outages affect students’ education in multiple ways. Professors often post their assignments using HuskyCT or email, meaning that if students do not have access to the Internet, they cannot check or complete their homework. Many students are given assignments that utilize online mediums, like GoogleDocs, WebAssign or Connect Italian. In these cases, students cannot work on their homework during outages, and if they were in the middle of an assignment when the internet stops functioning, they could lose some of their work. The university also offers many online classes that require the same amount of work as in person courses, but a lot of information and participation is accomplished through the Internet. The Internet is an essential tool in education today, and due to that, it is necessary that students have a reliable connection.

Internet access is also a tool that many students have incorporated into their daily lives. Many students use the Internet for income. The students at UConn who take advantage of this rely on a reliable campus Internet to support themselves. The Internet also provides a form of communication. Resources such as Skype and FaceTime allow students to see and talk to family who they might not be able to visit for weeks or months at a time. Disruptions in Internet access affect more than social media for students; often times they can negatively impact multiple areas in their personal life.

Students have busy schedules and normally plan out their days. This can include when they will work, talk with family, and complete their assignments. However, they do not plan Wi-Fi outages into their schedules. The Internet problems that the university has experienced affect multiple aspects of a student’s day, and therefore it is necessary that the university does everything possible to resolve the recent problems in connection.