What's in Storr: Local events happening this weekend

The Celebrate Mansfield event kicks off every year with a parade that showcases local businesses and community members. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Classes and student activities are picking up at the University of Connecticut, as autumn quickly approaches. When you aren’t studying for midterms, check out a parade, see a piano recital and munch on some fried oreos this weekend at UConn.

Friday, September 16:

Lambda Theta Alpha Fried Oreo Sale

11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center

Come buy fried oreos made by the the Latin sorority Lambda Theta Alpha. Each oreo is $1.50, 2/$3. Cash and Venmo payments accepted. All proceeds will be given to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital. Donations are welcome.

Celebrate Constitution Day

1:30 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. Thomas J. Dodds Research Center, Konover Auditorium

Review of the 2nd Amendment: A Historic and Current Day Presentation and Discussion from the Student Perspective. A student-led discussion on Constitutional rights in the modern world. Open to all students. Moderated by political science professor Kimberly Bergendahl. Media streaming available.

Education Abroad and Honors Resource Fair

2 p.m. to 4 p.m. SU304B

Come to the fair to hear about study abroad opportunities. This event is open and free to all UConn students. Learn about the trips UConn offers, major-specific opportunities and how to finance your semester abroad. Build your own sundaes and meet Jonathan the Husky while you broaden your horizons.

Saturday, September 17th:

Armenian Harvest Festival

12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Alumni Center

Enjoy dancing, Armenian food and lectures on traditional rug weaving and grape cultivation. An evening performance of Armenian dance will be presented in the Student Union Theater. Free to all students. Presented by the Office of Global Affairs.

Antique Press Demonstration

1:20 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Bishop Center Basement

Experience an antique printing press demonstration and learn how books such as the First Folio were printed before modern printing presses. Free to all. Presented by the School of Fine Arts in collaboration with the Benton Museum.

Marine Combat Fitness Challenge

2 p.m. to 4 p.m. George J Sherman Family Sports Complex

Do you have what it takes to be a Marine? Want to challenge yourself and get fit? Sign up for this Veteran Students Organization event today! Navigate an obstacle course with a partner in a military-style operation while carrying heavy equipment. $5 per two-person team. All proceeds go to the Veterans Students Organization. Contact the VSO at https://uconntact.uconn.edu/organization/veteranstudentsorganization/roster to register.

Lillie Gardner: A Piano Performance

3 p.m. to 4 p.m. von der Mehden Recital Hall

Enjoy a graduate student recital from piano instructor Lillie Gardner . Free to all to attend.

Quidditch Practice

4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Hugh S. Greer Field House

Are you Harry Potter fan? Check out Dumbledore’s Army’s first Quidditch practice this Saturday. Have your questions answered and learn about UConn’s Quidditch team. Free to all students.

UConn Fall Puppet Slam

8 p.m. to 9 p.m. UConn’s Studio Theater on 820 Bolton Road

The Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry and the UConn Puppet Arts Program presents performances from several professional puppeteers, along with new projects from students in the School of Fine Arts. Free and open to the public, donations are welcome.

Sunday, September 18th

13th Annual Celebrate Mansfield Festival

12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Downtown Storrs Center

Celebrate the community around UConn with art, music, activities, vendor booths and free food. A parade to Mansfield Square will be held at noon from the Storrs Post Office. Performances involving puppetry, the UConn Marching Band and the First Folio will be held. Save the date! Free to all students and the public.

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.