‘Phineas and Ferb’ creators’ new show set to release in october

The producers of ‘Milo Murphy’s Law’ have had good reactions to their shows in the past, being praised as quirky, original and humorous. (Courtesy of Disney)

From the creators of the popular animated show “Phineas and Ferb,” animated television show ‘Milo Murphy’s Law’ is coming to Disney Channel on October 3rd.

Created by Dan Povenmire and Jeff “Swampy” Marsh, the show centers on a school-aged boy named Milo Murphy, a descendant of Edward Murphy, Jr. who coined the term “Murphy’s Law,” the idea that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

(Courtesy of Disney)

Milo takes this in stride, despite the waves of catastrophes that follow him and his friends as he goes about his average day. From falling anvils to enormous fiery explosions, the show will feature much of the grandiose and slapstick comedy that defined ‘Phineas and Ferb.’

Adding to the feeling of over-the-top comedy will be the fact that Milo is voiced by none other than ‘Weird Al’ Yankovic, who also sings the show’s opening title “It’s My World and We’re All Living in It.” Yankovic has previously voiced for animated shows such as ‘Gravity Falls’ and “Adventure Time,” though this time he will voice the titular character instead of making a cameo.

Povenmire and Marsh have worked previously on other animated shows such as “Hey Arnold!,” “The Simpsons” and “Rocko’s Modern Life.” This will be the second animated kid’s show the duo will produce together.

Though ‘Milo Murphy’s Law’ will be marketed towards the seven to twelve-year-old demographic, knowing how much of a periphery demographic that “Phineas and Ferb” drew, the show will most likely be a draw toward teens and adults as well.

In fact, it’s not that unusual for animated television shows that are supposedly “meant for kids” to attract older audience members. “Teen Titans,” “Adventure Time” and more recently “Voltron: Legendary Defender” have all captured the interest of adults.

The writers and producers of these shows have managed to make them intriguing and appealing for all ages, capturing the sense of adventure from 80s shows such as ‘Duck Tales’ and incorporating them into modern storylines, with better animation and more resources at their disposal.

It’s clear that studios are using this appeal to their advantage. How many young kids know about Weird Al? Adults, on the other hand, appreciate the references and have more income at their disposal to buy merchandise related to the show, along with the means to spread the word about it to their peers.

The producers of ‘Milo Murphy’s Law’ have had good reactions to their shows in the past, being praised as quirky, original and humorous. “Phineas and Ferb” has won several awards for its writing and music in the past, and have been well-received by kids and adults alike.

Whether or not ‘Milo Murphy’s Law’ will be as much of a hit as “Phineas and Ferb,” it’s clear that Povenmire and Marsh are no amateurs when it comes to comedy.      

Marlese Lessing is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.