Volleyball: Huskies win two out of three at West Point Invitational

Uconn women's volleyball team beat St. Francis Brooklyn in three sets on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016. (Photo by Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)  

The University of Connecticut women’s volleyball team won two out of the three matches they had this weekend, losing to Albany and defeating tournament host Army as well as Saint John’s.

Redshirt freshman Kayla Williams delivered 66 kills in the three games, pushing UConn ahead in the last days of play before American Athletic Conference play begins Friday. Friday morning, Albany was able to defeat UConn in four sets after dominating the first set to stop a four-match win streak for the Huskies.

The fourth set was highly contested, but UConn was unable to force a fifth set after losing the fourth 23-25. At night, UConn defeated the Army Black Knights in the same way they fell to Albany, by stopping a fifth set after winning the fourth 25-23.

On Saturday morning, St. John’s led a comeback in the last game on Saturday, taking the third and fourth sets after losing the first two. The Huskies found themselves down 12-10 in the fifth set, but scored five of the last six points to win the game.

Kayla Williams led the team with 20 kills, in addition to 13 by Kenya Cason and 11 by Camille Evans. Senior Rebecca Rivera managed to assist 24 times while Emma Turner also added 19. For St. Johns, Erica Di Maulo produced 40 of the teams 48 total assists.

Joe Burns is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.burns@uconn.edu.