Florida Georgia Line back again with new album

Tyler Hubbard, left, and Brian Kelley of Florida Georgia Line pose for a portrait on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016, in New York. (Amy Sussman/Invision/AP) 

When I first heard the jam “H.O.L.Y” on the country radio station I realized it was the same band who made “Round Here,” “Get Your Shine On,” and my personal favorite, “Cruise”; I knew Florida Georgia Line was a group that would be around for a while.

Their third studio album titled “Dig Your Roots,” debuted on August 26. The band originates from, Tennessee, and consists of vocalists Tyler Hubbard and Brian Kelley and various instrumentalists.  

Their 15-track album brings back more of the “bro-county” they’re well-known for and also features a few special guests such as Tim McGraw, Ziggy Marley and the Backstreet Boys.

When I glanced at the track list I had the same reaction. Marley, McGraw and the Backstreet Boys all on one album? How will this be a cohesive mix of songs?

At first, I thought I was right. The songs didn’t flow well from one to another, and for the ones that did, it was because they sounded too similar.

I realized, however, that I was mistaken. The duo has somehow mastered the art of featuring other artists in their songs. I think this is most apparent in their award winning single “Cruise,” which in one version features Nelly.

The tune with Tim McGraw titled “May We All,” is also well blended. McGraw seems to add something to every song he has a verse in though, so I’m not surprised by this one.

The only song on the album that didn’t sit well with me was “Life is a Honeymoon,” which is the track Marley features in. I recognize this as a bias on my part, but if bouncy, Caribbean jams are your thing, you might love this one. If it’s not your thing, you’ll be just as confused as I was about why it’s placed in the top quarter of the track list.

My personal favorites on the album? “H.O.L.Y,” “Grow Old” and “God, Your Mama And Me.”

Now that Florida Georgia Line has won two Country Music Awards, two CMT Music Awards, two CMA awards, an American Music Award, a Billboard Music Award and many others, I think they should realize how large their fan base is. Specifically, that they have fans all the way into the Northeast. Several of their songs focus on summer time loving, or at least mention the warm weather (track seven, “Summerland” and track 15, “Heatwave.”) Living in Connecticut during September is different from living in Florida, or Georgia. I’m not sure I’d want to listen to a summer album as I dig through my closet for my jacket. Hubbard and Kelley are clearly digging through different roots.

If you’re craving a little more of the summery “H.O.L.Y” bro-country you’ve jammed to all summer, pick up Florida Georgia Line’s “Dig Your Roots.”

Rating: B+.

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.