Lazy Boy on Campus: Waiting for the bus is not wasted time

(Neel Razdan/The Daily Campus)

(Neel Razdan/The Daily Campus)

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

It was 2:20 in the afternoon and I had just left my philosophy discussion. It was a nice Friday afternoon and I was all through with classes. I figured the best way to spend the afternoon was to maybe drop my stuff off in my room, go take some photos and then head to the bar. There was just one problem: I live in Mansfield Apartments and I was currently in Storrs Hall.

According to Google maps, the trip would take me around 20 minutes to walk. So I did the only logical thing, I took out my phone to find out when the next Yellow Line would come by. The bus app said that it would only take about five minutes, so I decided to wait. Well five minutes turned to 10 minutes and eventually 25 minutes, and still no bus. Obviously I should have walked. But then, I remembered something my editor had tweeted out earlier that week: “With the amount of time I spend waiting for the bus, I could probably walk back to my apartment faster but I’m lazy.”

For those who don’t know, the UConn buses are totally unreliable. If there is a time posted on the schedule, you can almost guarantee that the bus will be at least 10 minutes late. Honestly the only thing less reliable than the UConn bus schedule is UConn-Secure.

The amount of time I’ve spent waiting for the bus while attending UConn could probably be added up to fill multiple days. Yet, I don’t feel that any of that time is wasted time.

In less than a year — eight and a half months to be precise — I am going to have a 9-5 job every day. I am going to have to start paying bills and rent and for all of my food all the time. The days of me wandering around outside with my camera at the end of my day and then heading to the bar are basically over.

The upcoming future is a scary, scary thing that four years of college can in no way, shape or form actually prepare me for.

For me, those bus rides and the wait for the bus is when I can be the laziest. It allows me take in the whole world around me without having to move a single muscle.

So I waited for the bus and eventually ended up at the bar, albeit a little later than I expected. After all, I’m the lazy boy on campus. What more (or less) would you expect me to do?

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu.