Men's Soccer: Huskies seek to start another winning streak

UConn freshman midfielder Niko Petridis dribbles past a Loyola midfielder during the Huskies 5-1 victory over Loyola at Morrone Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016. The Huskies will take on the Rhode Island Rams on Wednesday. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

After a 5-1 victory at home over Loyola Maryland, snapping a two game losing skid, the Huskies (4-3) will square off against Rhode Island University Rams (3-3-1) Wednesday night at 7p.m. The match will be broadcasted on WHUS.org, 91.7 FM.

With the win over Loyola Maryland, the Huskies moved to 25-6-7 at Morrone Stadium since the start of the 2013 campaign and have outscored opponents, 24-to-7, in its last 10 home matches.

UConn all-time has a 2-0-0 record against Rhode Island, as their first meeting came in 2003, where UConn won 3-0 over Rhode Island at home in the NCAA tournament. Their most recent meeting came last year at Morrone Stadium where the Huskies won 1-0 behind Fredrik Jonsson first career goal.

The Rams are currently in the midst of a two game losing streak, as they lost 2-1 on the road to University of Alabama at Birmingham and 1-0 at home to Albany. Overall they have three wins on the season, with those wins against Providence, St. Francis Brooklyn and Stetson. On the road, URI is 2-1-1 as they are so far winless in two attempts at home.

In seven games, the Rams have scored seven goals, averaged 10.1 shots per game and have allowed seven goals. UConn in nine games and two exhibitions, has scored a staggering 16 goals and has only allowed six goals. In their last game, the Huskies scored five goals which matched their largest offensive output since in two seasons. On the year behind the goalkeeping of redshirt junior Scott Levene has recorded shutouts in half of the team’s wins.

UConn ranks third in the American Athletic Conference with a 1.71 goals per game average and leads the conference defensively with a 0.84 Goals Against Average.  Sophomore Abdou Mbacke Thiam’s 1.80 points per game mark is third in the conference, while senior Kwame Awuah’s five assists are the tied for the best mark in the conference.

In the most recent NCAA rankings, UConn received two votes as they played No.1 Notre Dame to double overtime before falling 1-0. Awuah’s five assists are tied for third best in the nation while the team ranks 17th nationally in total assists with 14.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering UConn volleyball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.