Field Hockey: Huskies look to stay undefeated

The No. 3 UConn Huskies welcome Temple on Friday before traveling to No. 9 BU. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The No. 3 UConn women’s field hockey team will play two games this weekend, hosting Temple on Friday afternoon in a Big East matchup and traveling to Boston on Sunday to take on Boston University.

Earlier this week, the Huskies (7-0) moved up from No. 5 to No. 3 in the NFHCA Coaches Poll after a huge weekend in which they defeated both No. 13 Old Dominion and No. 14 Virginia on the road. Junior forward Charlotte Veitner earned Division I Offensive Player of the Week for her six-goal performance against Virginia and her two assists against Old Dominion.

Friday’s game will be UConn’s second conference game of the season, and the first at home. It will be the first matchup between the Huskies and the Owls since last season’s Big East Championship, where UConn defeated Temple 7-3.

This year’s Temple team is off to a rough start, with a record of 1-7 (0-1 Big East). Last weekend, the Owls suffered two heartbreaking losses, losing 3-2 in overtime against Providence to open conference play and then losing 3-2 to Monmouth a few days later. When Temple comes to Storrs, it will be their first road game of the season, and perhaps a welcome change of scenery for the struggling Owls.

The game will be played at 3 p.m. at George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex.

Two days later, UConn travels to Boston on Sunday to take on No. 9 Boston University. The Terriers have opened the season as strong as the Huskies have, with an identical 7-0 record. BU has some high-quality wins on their résumé, including wins against No. 11 Northwestern and No. 19 Maine.

Heading into the weekend, the Terriers have allowed only three goals in their last five games, a stat similar to the Huskies, who have allowed four goals in their last five.

UConn hosted BU for an exhibition match earlier in the season, and the Huskies were victorious by a score of 4-1. However, the Terriers have not given up four goals once during the regular season, and have scored more than one goal in each game.

Sunday’s game will be at 1 p.m. at New Balance Field in Boston.

Josh Buser is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.buser@uconn.edu.