USG passes new funding bill

Undergraduate Student Government President Dan Byrd and Lysette Johnson, funding board chair, passes a funding bill on Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2016 (Mustafe Mussa/Daily Campus) 

The Undergraduate Student Government passed a bill amending a funding request policy for student organizations Wednesday night.

The bill requires student organizations to request funding six weeks in advance of when the money is needed.

The new bill also requires Tier II organization presidents or treasurers to attend USG funding training sessions.

USG Funding Board Chair Lysette Johnson said the training sessions were made mandatory because the Funding Board has seen “fewer and fewer correct requests” for student organization funding.

The training sessions are in place to increase student accessibility to information about funding requests.

Many student groups came to USG Senate last year because they missed funding deadlines, causing the Senate to devote much of its time to funding issues, USG President Dan Byrd said.

By better informing students about the funding process, the Senate will have more time to discuss other affairs, Byrd said.

In addition, retroactive funding requests from student organizations will no longer be granted, with the exception of airfare tickets. The bill defines retroactive funding requests as purchases made without informing USG before the money is spent.

In the case that a student group needs last-minute or unforeseen funding, Johnson assured the organization would not be penalized “as long as they keep USG in the loop.”

Schae Beaudoin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.