Women's Soccer: Huskies rout Fordham at home

UConn's Rachel Hill (#3) takes the ball up against Fordham. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The No.23 UConn women’s soccer team defeated Fordham University 4-1 at Morrone Stadium on Thursday night.

“It was definitely hard for us to click at the beginning of the season coming with 13 freshman but we’re starting to click and things are coming together at the right time,” said Kristen Vinciguerra.

After a couple of good chances early the Huskies broke through with a Kristen Vinciguerra goal in the 14th minute. Rachel Hill made a run down the right flank and crossed a ball into the box, Stephanie Ribeiro flicked it with her backheel before Vinciguerra tucked it away.

Fordham’s first chance of the game came in the 24th minute, but goalkeeper Emily Armstrong handled it confidently.

Throughout the first half the Huskies got a lot shots off but were not able to trouble Adaeze Obinelo’s goal.

In the 28th minute Rachel Hill was fouled right outside the box. Ribeiro stepped up for the free kick but drove it right into Obinelo’s hands.

Once again the 32nd minute Hill troubled Obinelo’s goal striking a shot with her weaker right foot that was tipped right over the post by the Fordham keeper.

With 5 minutes left in the half Rachel Hill was slide tackled in the box but referee Alex Castella ruled there was no foul on the play, despite Hill's plea.

After Kim Urbanek was fouled outside the box Fordham’s Margaret Roughley was issued a yellow card. On the set play Danielle Gottwik ripped a bending shot just wide of the near post.

“We did some good things in the first half. We missed some sitters that could’ve put us up three nothing. We’ve been working on crossing, but we missed two sitters. In the second half we were more effective in breaking through their defense,” head coach Len Tsantiris said.

The Huskies got the second half off to a great start, as Tanya Altrui crossed a ball into the box that Ribeiro buried with her head for her 8th goal of the season.

UConn continued to pressure throughout the early part of the second half but could not extend their lead.

In the 67th minute Fordham had their most dangerous chance of the half as the ball passed across the face of Armstrong's goal but no one was able to tap it in for the Rams.

Fordham got back in the game in the 70th minute as Nicol Natale got in on goal one-on-one with Armstrong before knocking the ball around the UConn keeper and tucking it into the net, bringing the score to 2-1.

With less than 10th minute left in play Alexa Casimiro secured the win for the Huskies with her first career goal. Ribeiro tallied her second assist of the match with the goal.

In the 43rd minute Casimiro drew a foul right outside the box. Ribeiro curled a ball into the box and Hill tucked it in for the Huskies.

“After the game went 2-1, I told the girl we need to wrap it up, so they did a good job of that,” Tsantiris said.

Antonio Salazar is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazr@uconn.edu.