It's tailgating season. Get the necessities to take on the Rent.

All the essentials you need to have an amazing time at UConn vs. 'Cuse this Saturday. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

I’m not even going to pretend that I can write some interesting football anecdote or that I actually look forward to watching the game – I’ll leave that sort of thing to our sports editor Dan Madigan. What I do know is tailgating season is back, and that’s a good enough reason for me to buy a football ticket. With UConn vs. ‘Cuse one day away, here is a list of tailgating necessities that some friends and I tested out last weekend during UConn’s first home game at Rentschler Field.

Breakfast sandwiches.

(Really the key to any good day.) We arrived to the parking lot around 10:30 a.m. with empty stomachs, so these were a necessity. A friend had packed bacon, cheese, eggs and bagels. We used the grill to cook the eggs and bacon, and then each made a custom sandwich. I would’ve been happy if that was my entire day.

Booze.

For our underage readers, you are sure to have a great time without this ingredient, but for those of you 21 and over, don’t forget the champagne, vodka, Bailey’s and beer (maybe not in that order). We brought four bottles of champagne, several bottles of vodka, Bailey’s Original Irish Cream and a 30 rack. Bringing your own alcohol is especially important if you don’t want to spend $7 or more on one beer inside the stadium.

Mixers and coffee.

Again, arriving at the stadium before noon, it seemed like a no-brainer to bring coffee. We purchased a Box O’ Joe ® from Dunkin’ Donuts, which contains enough coffee to fill 10 small Dunkin’ coffee cups, according to their website. This was not only good for waking up, but the perfect mixer for Bailey’s. We also brought orange juice to mix with the vodka and champagne for screwdrivers and mimosas, and used Sprite to mix with lemon-flavored vodka.

Bluetooth speakers.

If you’re committed to the tailgate, you’re going to need at least one set of reliable speakers. Keep in mind that if you’re not in the student parking area, grandparents and children might not be fans of “Famous” by Kanye West. Be considerate, but be true to yourself.

Tables and Solo cups.

Make sure to bring two tables and enough cups to play pong, flip cup, etc. If you’re waiting for several hours before the game, this will definitely help to pass the time and get you even more prepared to enter the stadium. The spirit fostered by competitive drinking is one that may have helped UConn beat Virginia.

Water.

Not to be Mom here, but you’re going to need to stay hydrated when out in the sun all day, especially if consuming alcohol. Have your friends pitch in for a pack or make sure everyone brings a few bottles.

Mini foam fingers.

Nothing says “Go UConn” like a mini foam finger. The “mini” is huge, though. A big foam finger just makes you look like a hardo.

Make sure to cherish the only time of the year when it’s okay to drink in public at 8 a.m.

Megan Krementowski is associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at megan.krementowski@uconn.edu.